Ethics question about found jewlery

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HeatherLynn, Dec 14, 2011.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    ok roughly 10 years ago we found a HUGE mens gold class ring. It has a social to help identify. We posted it as lost. We gave our info to the store where it was found in the parking lot. No one ever claimed it. Its been sitting in a drawer for 10 years now. I don't know if I can ethically just sell it as junk gold at this point OR I guess just advertise it some more and shove it back in the drawer. Whatcha think? I feel a tad torn. We did try to find the owner but didn't want to get rid of just in case but it seems a tad silly to keep holding onto something that means nothing to any of us.

2. Dreaming of Chickens

Dreaming of Chickens New Egg

Sep 6, 2011
    Well, have you tried again to find the owners or just at the time that you found the ring? We didn't have stuff like Craigslist back then. If you haven't tried to find the owner in the last year or two, I'd give it one more try. After a few weeks if no one claims it, I think it would be fine to sell it.

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Sell it or melt it down for something for yourself.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd say at this point, it is yours.

5. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    If it has a social security number, can you request help from the police?

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like you went to some trouble trying to find the owner 10 years ago. If you are feeling like you should make one more try, contact the guidance department of the school it came from and see if anyone reported one lost. The chances are slim to none that someone has been looking for it for 10 years. It's one of those things that you lose and search for then give up on. And really, how many people do you know who wear their high school ring after they graduate?

In your place, I'd sell it for the gold and use the money for whatever is needed. Or you could hang onto it for another 10 years. When you think of the way gold prices have been going up (and it will never go down) it might make you some serious money someday.

8. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    What do you mean that it has a social to help identify? I've been in the jewelry business for many years and am a gemologist. I've also purchased gold for years and many class rings. I've never seen a serial number or a social number of any kind on the inside of class rings. There are a few big time ring companies that have been in business a long time. Each one has their own makers mark that gets stamped into each ring, but other than that, it's usually engraved with the person's initials, or name.

9. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    When you think of the way gold prices have been going up (and it will never go down) it might make you some serious money someday.

Never come down? Thats' another debate entirely!! [​IMG]

10. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Being a class ring I would assume that would cut the possible owners down to 1 class at one school.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by