Ethics

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sara, Feb 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sara

sara Title Needed Here

So I've been reading a lot of posts, and thought maybe this was a subject that could use some talking about.

First thing that popped into my head. I think it's unethical to be selling hatching eggs when you have sick birds at home..

2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Another, make sure what you are selling is what you say you have.

For instance Easter Eggers are not Ameraucanas. Do research before buying a breed, or before selling them. I feel that a seller needs to be fully educated before taking on the responsibility of selling.

Please do not sell a bird that is not the said breed because you think you can fool people, and take their money. It's not ethical. I don't know how people can fabricate the truth and still sleep at night.

3. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Well, I think that horse was beat to death and locked.

No matter what business you are in, you will always find both ethical and unethical people. You as the buyer can choose who you do and don't want to deal with.

You cannot change other people. You can only work on yourself and you are only responsible for yourself.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Couldn't agree more. Especially when they could have an illness that even tho they "recover" they're still carriers off.

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I don't think she is specifically referring to that particular discussion you are referring to. She is referring to all chickens that may be sick.

There are plenty of diseases that can spread through the egg. MG is one, if your vet tells you that you have CRD, that is MG, don't sell hatching eggs.

If you think there may be a problem at least notify the buyer and give them the option to make their own decision.

And for goodness sakes , please, please, when your birds are sick and/or dying get a necropsy done. The continual misuse of antibiotics doesn't work.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Like QA says, people will do what they please, it's not worth stressing yourself out over their not doing what *you* would do.

Calling it "ethics" isn't going to convert anyone to your way of thinking, it just makes people dig their heels in harder. NOBODY thinks of themselves as being unethical. All sorts of rationales can be presented for the things mentioned on this thread (as for all sorts of things that go on in the horse industry, which is what I'm much more familiar with). Say 'ethics' and people immediately start spinning out their rationales for why it is perfectly reasonable for them to do what they're doing.

Like my mom always said to me, and I find myself saying to my own kids from time to time now. No point worrying what your sister/brother's doing, you just make sure you're doing the right thing YOURSELF [​IMG]

JMHO,

Pat

7. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Well it was my understanding that she wanted to discuss ethics in general, but specifically pointing out things one sees wrong with other BYC members, even without mentioning names, can be viewed as attacking or ridicule. I'm all for a healthy discussion regarding ethics.

8. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:Hear, hear...Couldn't agree more with you.

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I'm not attacking anyone. If I was there would be names. These are just general things that came to mind.

I can't believe the mentality that it's ok to just watch this stuff happen. How would you feel if you were on the receiving end?

10. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I think that first things first.

This forum is here to help. And lots of people have gotten away from that. So my Ethics post is....

Be kind to one another. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by