Eureka!!! The mother load!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shelleyd2008, Feb 26, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Would you believe that these silly ducks have been laying all this time, in the place that they are supposed to be laying? We are kind of ghetto here, so we had a washing machine 'frame' out there by the pond with some straw in it, hoping they would use it for a nest. My 4 y/o happened to look in there today, and found 9 EGGS!!! Who would have thought? [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    LOL...smart ducks! [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have been getting 1 egg every day, or every other day, scattered in various places around the pond. I knew the others had to be laying, but who knew they would be laying in the right spot? I just hope she doesn't move her nest!! I'm thinking this one is either the rouen or the cayuga, since these are a bit smaller than the ones I know are from a pekin!

4. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    [​IMG] Please put the on the delecate cycle lol. I'm glad they are using your idea...shhh don't tell them it wasn't theirs. [​IMG]

julie

5. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Well I have strategically placed NUMEROUS, great places to lay for the turkeys and ducks, and today I found two nests NOWHERE near any of my nesting places. As a matter of fact the two nests were made outside the pasture in my dang yard and out of the two nests I found 38 duck eggs, 2 turkeys eggs, and 1 guinea egg. Go figure LOL!!! I swear every Spring is like an eternal Easter egg hunt.

6. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    you need to tell them to color their eggs, so the Easter Bunny can find them. [​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:[​IMG] I have one pekin that likes to lay her eggs right by the water, but never in the same place twice!! I'm hoping that once it warms up I can leave the eggs out there for a week or so, at least that way I'll have enough to bother with!! [​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG] delicate cycle.....

:::snort:::

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I made some dummy eggs out of easter eggs!! I painted them white, but I'm sure it will wear off. So there should be some colored easter eggs out there in a few days!! Just hope the dog finds them. If she does, she'll have a rude awakening!! They are filled with hair gel! [​IMG] That should break her!!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  10. squeakyduck

squeakyduck Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    Do you have pictures of this washing machine frame? I have a collection of washing machines too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by