Eureka! They're Following Me!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by goosemama, Jun 22, 2011.

1. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    After trying for days to coax the 4 Pilgrim goslings into following me from their pen on the lawn and into their basement pen each night, I gave up and carted all four together in a plastic garden cart. Tonight as I loaded in the 2 males they were DETERMINED they were going to jump out immediately! I thought I'd have to do it the hard way and make two trips with 2 goslings in my arms. I bundled the 2 males in my arms and headed for the basement. When I put them in the pen I looked back and there were the two females following me - peeping all the way afraid they would be left behind. Who says women don't have directional sense? LOL Tomorrow I'll try carrying one and see if the other three follow me. Sometimes success happens when you least expect it!

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Aren't geese just the cutest things ever!!

3. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Mine have just gotten to where they are at their box every evening waiting to be put in. I tell you what, those boogers just keep growing on me with every passing day. [​IMG]

4. ChickenCrazed

ChickenCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:How cute!...WTG babies!

5. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    Orange Ribbon you are right!!! I cannot believe how attached I am to them already after only 2 weeks - they are so sweet, especially when you raise them from babies. My husband says I have created a monster and that I won't be able to go anywhere without them. (that's ok). Heading out now to take them from their basement pen to the grass pen and we'll see if they follow along this time.

6. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    you stumbled upon my method. [​IMG] when it's taking too long for both of my geese to follow me into their pen I just pick up one and let the other follow us, they like me alot, but LOVE each other, it gets the job done quick.

congrats on becoming a goose parent, they're THE BEST

7. My husband says I love the geese more than my children [​IMG] But it is not so! I do, however, like them the best of any farm animal we have had so far. I don't know what I will feel like when breeding season comes -- kind of nervous about how they will all get along with each other, and the poor innocent ducks and chickens that have to live with their opinionated bossy selves . . . but right now I am just happy that they are mowing the lawn and behaving themselves . . . I generally don't have to do anything to make them follow me in the yard -- they are so curious that they follow me even when it is inconvenient . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by