Eureka!!!

MEMama3

Songster
6 Years
May 23, 2013
Vacation Land; Maine
The nest box has been the bane of my existence... until now.

I am a very OCD person. The constant battle of nesting box bedding being on the coop floor is driving me insane. In addition to them kicking it out when the situate their nest, I have several birds who stand outside the box and pull out the contents. My solution: I made a frame sort of like a free-standing perch. It's wide enough for them to hop onto it, but skinny enough that they won't want to sleep on it. I secured it 4" from the nest box openings. This should stop the ladies from reaching in and pulling stuff out. Their necks are not quite long enough to reach from the floor of the coop. Next I created a "hammock" from the new perch to under the kick board of the nest box from an old vinyl tablecloth. Now when the girls kick out bedding it will collect in the hammock. I can scoop it out from the access door and if it's clean, I can put it back in the box.

When the paint is dry and it's in place I'll post a picture.

Hopefully this will help all the other OCD chicken keepers out there.

My chickens pull their nesting contents out, rearrange it, even drag other contents in some times. I never know what I am going to find when I open the top of the nesting box. When it needs it, I add more chips. They are chickens. That is what they do. Don't try to change them. Instead of reinventing them, work on your OCD. No offense intended, but I see too many people trying to "reinvent" their chickens' lives to fit their own needs rather than the chickens' needs. With all due respect, that's not what it is all about. Provide fresh water, nutritious food and protective shelter...then let the chickens be chickens.

Last edited:
The nest box has been the bane of my existence... until now.

I am a very OCD person. The constant battle of nesting box bedding being on the coop floor is driving me insane. In addition to them kicking it out when the situate their nest, I have several birds who stand outside the box and pull out the contents. My solution: I made a frame sort of like a free-standing perch. It's wide enough for them to hop onto it, but skinny enough that they won't want to sleep on it. I secured it 4" from the nest box openings. This should stop the ladies from reaching in and pulling stuff out. Their necks are not quite long enough to reach from the floor of the coop. Next I created a "hammock" from the new perch to under the kick board of the nest box from an old vinyl tablecloth. Now when the girls kick out bedding it will collect in the hammock. I can scoop it out from the access door and if it's clean, I can put it back in the box.

When the paint is dry and it's in place I'll post a picture.

Hopefully this will help all the other OCD chicken keepers out there.
http://www.eggcartons.com/Excelsior-Nesting-Pads-p/ep1313.htm

This is what I have been using instead of shavings. The girls like it and it doesn't make a mess.

Nice! Do they last quite awhile? They're rather pricey, but if you get a lot of use from them then I can see it being worth it.

About 3 months use or more. I change them when the girls have dug down to the paper bottom or if an egg breaks. You can sprinkle DE on it before you place them in the box.

Nice nesting boxes! Your girls are so cute! While hunting around the Internet on the subject of nesting boxes, I found this picture and fell in love!

Back
Top Bottom