1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Eurgent!!!!! Reject baby sheep help

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by aldren90, Dec 11, 2011.

1. aldren90

aldren90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2010
    Florida
    I have bottle fed a baby before this little girl seems different i think she maybe blind her eyes arent cloudy they seem normal she is approx 3 days old i feed her every 2-3 hrs but how many oz of liquid milk should i feed her per feeding and could you possibly tell me if she is blind with these details: wonders around aimlessly, calls non stop when im NOT holding her, runs into walls, and gets panicky when im not holding her, and i have to stick the nipple in her mouth because i dont think she can see it but she does suck it and she walks in no set direction. So please help me if you can

2. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    This might be something to post on Backyardherds.... but it sounds like there is something wrong with her eyes. Perhaps that's why momma rejected her?

3. aldren90

aldren90 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2010
    Florida
    Thats what i thought but i tried to get on byh and i never got my password login i never got the email

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  4. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    I am a member there, would you like me to post it and send you updates via email? PM me if you are interested

5. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    Maybe a Vitamin B deficancy?

6. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    I'm not going to be any help on the eyesight thing but I've had some slow-to-start lambs that had have needed help getting on the nipple for more than a week. getting the exact right temperature (to the baby's preference) makes a big difference, you can try slightly warmer or slightly cooler to see if it helps. I find they also take the red rubber / yellow screw-on-cap type of nipple better than the black or hard red rubber nipples. if they're spitting the nipple out instead of sucking, it may be too warm. if they're loosing interest after feeding for a while, or shiver after feeding, it's too cold. there's a fair amount of room between those two states, and getting in the temperature groove helps.

how much... depends on how frequent you feed and how big the lamb is. I judge by when their belly feels gently round and full, not bulging, but not soft and tucked up. sometimes the slow-to-start lambs won't tank up, they'll peter out after only half of what they should drink. I give them 30 sec or a minute and try again. sometimes takes 3 or 4 rounds to top them off this way. I also give some drench to the slow-starters, amount based on size, after they've finished their milk.

is there any way to keep this lamb with other ewes/lambs? we keep our bottle babies in the nursery pen with the other moms/babies for warmth and company, provided the other ewes aren't too pushy with them, or knocking them about.

I'm interested to know what you learn... Alicia, if you cross post, would you put the link on here?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    http://quakerfarm.com/orphan_lamb_part2.html

After the initial feeding of colostrum you will want to estimate the use of milk replacer. Infant lambs should receive at least about 15% to 20% of their body weight in milk replacer daily. Example: 5 lb lamb X 16oz/lb= 80 oz X 20% = 16 oz daily.

Feeding for lambs over 24 hours old:

Day 2 thru 3: every 3 hours
    Day 4 thru 7: every 4 hours
    Day 8 thru 21: every 6 hours
    Day 21 thru 35: every 8 hours
    Day 25 till weaning: every 12 hours.
    Do not overfeed. A baby will not be able to digest a large volume properly and this will cause scouring.​

8. MNShepherdess

MNShepherdess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Minnesota
    Also, a couple shots of Nutridrench could give it a good kick start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by