European "Paint" Silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by janieannie, Mar 20, 2012.

1. janieannie

janieannie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2012
    Butler, Kentucky
    I recently received 2 pair of paint silkies. They are white with black splotches, kind of like a paint horse. The person I received the from said they were a European breed of silkie that is very rare in this country. They are beautiful birds. I' m going to try to raise some. Has anyone ever heard of this breed or know anything about them? I am the chairperson of the children's farm at the Alexandria Fair & Horse Show in Alexandria, Kentucky. We have a chicken rodeo the last day of the fair. The children love it. I raise regular & exotic breeds for exhibition in the children's farm. If you'd like to see what a chicken rodeo is you can see a clip by googling chicken rodeo closes Alexandria Fair. I am new to this site. Sorry if I chatted your legs off.

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ive heard of Paint silkies and several people have them but Idk what European ones look like
    Do u have a pic of them??

3. janieannie

Mar 20, 2012
    Butler, Kentucky
    I am an amateur with computers. I have a digital camera Kodak with a share button, but I can't seem to make it send pictures. I will post pictures of my paint silkies when I figure it out.

4. wholewheatchicken

wholewheatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Lebanon, Ohio
    I live across the river in Ohio. Very recently I have met two people from Kentucky whose children caught chickens at this rodeo and now they are in to chickens all because of it. What are you guys starting down there, LOL.
    And by the way, [​IMG] Be careful as there is much fun to be had on this forum.

I've only seen the paint silkies they have here in the U.S. If you type in the search box paint silkies, you should come up with a lot of threads that will probably have pictures in them of the paints. There are a few good breeders in the area if you are really wanting to get going with them and need stock. As a matter of fact, I think there is an auction right now in the chickens over eight weeks category from Reese's Poultry and they have a nice trio and one of them is a paint baby. Premier Silkies is down in Kentucky in Danville and they raise paints and they have really nice birds.
    I do the partridge in gold and silver and am getting into blue calico. I just got hatching eggs today that are BBS and porcelain and lavendar.
    Oh, and there is someone in the egg section that has an auction on for paint eggs right now!!!!! I could keep you busy looking at paints.
    Good luck with them.

5. janieannie

Mar 20, 2012
    Butler, Kentucky
    I'm so glad to hear that our chicken rodeo has been heard of in other states. It was started by Orville McCormick, Jr. (Junior), several years ago. He was a wonderful man, who truely loved chickens & was very knowledgable about them. He passed away last year & our goal is to keep his traditions alive. He gave my son & me several chickens when he got sick because he could no longer care for them. He said he wanted someone to have them who would care for them as he did. Awww! The Alexandria Fair Board was afraid they were going to have to do away with the children's farm, so my son & I stepped up, joined the Fair Association, & gathered animals for exhibition. This will be our 2nd year doing this without Mr. McCormick, he is truelly missed, but I hope he's in heaven, smiling down on us as we strive to make the children's farm & rodeo bigger & better each year. The rodeo is always on Labor Day morning at 10 a.m. Come check it out if you can! It is hilarious! Also, thank you for the info on silkie paints. We're 1st going to try to raise some with what we have. Thank you!

6. wholewheatchicken

wholewheatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Lebanon, Ohio
    Good luck. They are very pretty!
    I will have to try to remember that about Labor Day. It sounds like a lot of fun.

7. Donna McCormick

Donna McCormick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    Thank you for the kind words, my husband will be remembered for his hard work and love of the animals and the children. The Children's Farm was one of his passions and we spent many, many years preparing and raising animals and chickens for everyone to enjoy. Orville will be missed by all and remembered by many. Anyone who wishes to see a video of the "Chicken Rodeo" can visit my web site at BluegrassBantams.com - click video.
    The Paint silkies you were given, were of a Euro female and one of my black males. The Euro's, I would not say are rare but there are less of them here than the American Paint. I have given up the Paints and am concentrating on my Grays and Blacks.
    I would be willing to donate some Silkies again, in Orville's name, to the Chicken rodeo if they are needed, email or call me Janie, I lost your number when I lost my phone and contact list. It would be nice to hear from you again. [email protected]

8. janieannie

Mar 20, 2012
    Butler, Kentucky
    Donna! There you are! I've wanted to contact you several times, but didn't know how. Thank you backyard chickens! I have about a dozen 5 week old paints now. My silkies are laying like crazy. I've never had my silkies lay so heavily. They must be happy! I'll email you Donna! Thanks again Backyard Chickens for reuniting 2 friends who had lost contact!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by