European Pekins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicken_boy_Kurt, Jan 2, 2012.

1. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    So I was browsing feathersite the other day, on the Pekin page, and I noticed Pekins bred to European standard. They stand like Runners... I thought that was really interesting, and I find them appealing. They look like fat Runners. Does anyone own these???

Feathersite Pekin Page.

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Those are the REAL Exhibition Quality Pekins! The ones you see that are very common are the hatchery ones.

There was someone doing a Pre-Sale on these on Ebay.

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Cool! Now I want some!

4. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    Quote:The ones I'm talking about are a little more down the page. They're exhibition quality in Europe.

The APA standard-bred Pekin doesn't stand at all like the European.

5. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    I don't know of anyone in NA who breeds them like that, but I like the looks of them, too. The Runner Bantams looked alot like that, only tiny, and chocolate.

6. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Ok, totally off topic but can someone please post a link to feather action? I cant seem to even google a link!

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:It's feathersite I believe.

8. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
  9. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:X2

10. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    Quote:This is true in many cases. But not all. I think it's because most of the time, Europe imported (from Asia, etc.) or created birds before we had a chance to get our hands on them. So they were working with the birds way before we were. And we have very few breeds bred here, anyway.

But there are some breeds that we actually imported first. I know one is the Sumatra.

And it's not always that they have better quality birds. They often times have entirely different standards (Pekins and Orpingtons, for example).

I do agree that hatcheries are not entirely helpful for the exhibition side of the poultry industry. But they're a really good way for people who just want eggs or meat from their backyard. In this way they don't have to buy something from the supermarket that they don't know the entire story or quality of.

...Did any of that make sense? I'm bad at explaining my opinions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by