European Rowan Tree Berries?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by swampcat, May 18, 2011.

1. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    I can't be the only one out there with one of these trees in my backyard, but upon searching the forums I can't find anything about this tree and if its fruits are safe for chickens. The story of my particular tree is that it was smuggled into the US from Finland and it was planted here, in my yard (not too far from my outdoor sauna... gotta love the Fins!). The tree is beautiful but the flowers reek like burning trash (seriously, one year we had to wait for the flowers to pass before we could eat at the picnic table because it STUNK!). The tree makes berries in the fall, which according to the oldtimers, can be made into jams and jellies (never tried it). A word of caution I have heard now and again is not to eat the fruit raw because it can cause indigestion and potentially kidney problems. I have found a couple sources that allude to that, but nothing straight up saying "this is what happens" plus the fact that some oldtimers say they ate it all the time raw.

Anyone know anything about this? Do I need to cook the berries for my chickens, or will they be okay eating the fallen fruit?
    I'd hate to chop the tree down because of its history...

2. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    Really? No one else has this kind of tree???

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by