European style chicken tractor finally finished! (Pics!)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kristenm1975, Apr 14, 2009.

1. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I've made two of these now and have been happy with the design, apart from some simple things that I modified with the help of my handier SO.

It has six doors, two long ones on each side of the top portion, and two on each end, one big one for access to the run, and one small one for egg gathering. There's a long roost bar that runs from nest to nest (one on each end of the 8 ft tractor) and the run is enclosed with hardware cloth in 1/2 inch mesh. What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    It's just great! How many birds do you plan to range in there?

3. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That's great looking, very nice job [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Very nice tractor [​IMG]

5. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Thank you! [​IMG] My carpentry skills are improving by leaps and bounds (and by sore thumbs).

The bottom run area is 32 sq ft and the top loft area is 16 sq ft, so I would say I could at least fit 5 in there. I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to how much space hens have. I want happy birds.

What would you say is a good amount of birds for this tractor? I appreciate all feedback! I'm selling these in my area and would much rather hear if I need to make some improvements or changes on BYC, instead of from a disappointed customer.

6. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    It look's better than "store bought"...but with all that nice flat green luscious grass area you have I would let them roam and use the birds as moving yard art....I know whats wrong...you need more birds!

7. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Wow, you aren't joshing about your carpentry skills. That is really quite beautiful. Congrats on a job well done!

8. realmofthewoodsranch

realmofthewoodsranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Palintowne, Alaska
    4-5 square feet per bird indoors, 10 square feet outdoors if those are the only place for them. Combined I'd say five chickens is good!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  9. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That's really nice!!

10. SophieLain127

SophieLain127 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I really like that.... You could offer it in lots of fun colors.... just a suggestion. if you have chicks you might want to offer it at say a set price with out chicks then do one with a set up including chicks. you know kind of like when you go to a pet store and you get an aquarium with the works for a set price.... thats the only thing I can think of now.....

You did a great job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by