European style chicken tractor finally finished! (Pics!)

Thank you! (Beaming) Previous to building this one, I employed the hammer-and-pray method of carpentry.

Good suggestion about offering different colors and sell with or without chicks. At this point, my feed store gives me chicks since I'm in there so often, so I'm giving two away with each of the first five coops sold.

So far I've sold 4, in March. I started low, while I was getting it all figured out, and now I'm charging $500 each. I also offer economy designs, with more plywood, less hardware, same square footage. I've just offered a kit with everything needed to build it yourself, since gathering all the supplies and getting the wood cut precisely is a big part of the job and not everyone has a garage that looks like the set of "Home Improvement". The kit is $375.

The materials to build this cost $240, so whether it's built or a kit, it's still a darn good deal. It takes somewhere around 24 hours to build, from start to finish. $1 an hour is not much of a wage, but I started this business as a side project so I could stay at home more. I live in such a gorgeous place, I don't want to spend all day away from it, especially in the car commuting.

since i live near you i have to ask.....do you have a water proof tractor??
wink.png
lol.png
big_smile.png

melissastraka, you've got lots of chickens on the way! I'd love to hear what all you got and how they're doing. I'm working on my fourth batch of little fuzzbutts and I'm so in love with them. I got a couple of sultans in with this batch and they're a hoot! Oh, and congrats on the new baby too! You're a busy momma!

In answer to your question, yes, I do have a waterproof tractor. I build them so that they have good ventilation, but won't be all soggy inside. I put two layers of waterproofing sealer/stain on them that's guaranteed for up to 6 years.

The way it's constructed, the bottom edges of the run get some rain, but there's lots of space under there for the girls to be nice and dry, with a good long loft "upstairs" to cozy up in also.

The one I'm building now isn't painted, just stained, and I'm loving the way it looks. There's something so nice about seeing the wood grain.

I'm still taking orders if you want to try one out!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom