euthanize my paralyzed hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kevinkeb4, Dec 1, 2009.

1. kevinkeb4

kevinkeb4 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2007
    Spencerport,N.Y.
    Hi, My hen is 8 months and she seems to be paralyzed.I came out to the coop and she like,couldn't walk.She rolled down the walk and then the roo jumped on her and when he was done another hen started pecking her head.I thought maybe she was sick,but i've done everything for her and she cant straighten her head or use her legs at all.When I lift her head,her neck is like, locked in acurved position,she cant sit up.Her leg like twitches,but she cant stond or sit up.
    I have to force feed her and give her liquids with a dropper.She seems very,very sad and I have nothing left I can do for her.This has been going on for about a week,and I see absolutely no improvement of any kind.Can anyone elaborate on what this may be,or maybe I should euthanize her.If so how can I do it humanely,without paying a vet $250 to do it for me?

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    well you could try vitamin E sounds like either Mareks (which the vitamins wont help) or maybe Wry neck which the vitamin e with selenium could help maybe.

Most humane really is a hatchett sounds horrible but it is fast and severers the brain stem so no pain.

3. kevinkeb4

Dec 3, 2007
    Spencerport,N.Y.
    Love your icon pic.Yeah,I dont know if I can even do it,no matter how.I am gonna keep trying with her throughout the next couple days,if vitamins and electrolyte liquids dont work,I may have to have someone do it for me.Her name is Maryann,and I feel so sad for her,its really killing me.But I dont want her to lay there and suffer endlessly either.Thanks

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Most vets won't charge anywhere near that.

Unfortunately I have to leave for work but please post so others can read what her diet has been.

You're probably already keeping her comfortable as possible in a warm safe quite place where she can rest till you decide what to do. And keep her hydrated as you've been doing - the stuff tastes like crud but you might add 3 drops Polyvisol liquid children's vitamins daily dribbled with dropper gently along her beak line so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke, in the event the added nutritional boost would help.

I haven't had experience with this particular ailment but others on BYC have dealt with similar - keep posting updates and hopefully one or more will see your thread very shortly.

Sending best wishes for the poor little sweetheart.

JJ

5. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:thanks [​IMG]

try the vitamin E and selenium, that I think is your best bet for now. and although I agree with jjthink that is should not cost over $200 to do it at the vet I know NY prices will at least be $100 and that is a lot of money when just putting a bird down.

There are ways you can make a gas that will kill them, it is supposedly humane I know there are posts on it. It is very hard I am sorry you are going through it. But try breaking a vitamin e caplule and squirt it in her mouth 2-3 times a day the large dosage one I think it is 400 or something like that.

good Luck [​IMG]

6. kevinkeb4

Dec 3, 2007
    Spencerport,N.Y.
    Thanks,I am trying a vitamin supplement powder i used for a stray kitty that i found,and keeping the electrolyte fluids going to see what happens,she cant get any worse.If this doesn't work,I will get some of the e-caps,as I dont have that kind of stuff here.I will keep updating as she progresses..

7. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    I would get some vitamin E and selenium as soon as possible. Any CVS or Walgreens will have both. Sounds similar to a chick I had. She only showed symptoms for a day or so until I started treatment and it took a week or more for her to be back on her feet. I determined that she had crook neck, which is specifically linked to vitamin E. If I recall Selenium helps in the absorption of vitamin E.

If you can't try this, I would put her out of her misery. It's tough but we all have done it.

The wait and see approach is not likely to work if it hasn't after a week, and her suffering will just be prolonged. Yes vets are expensive, and getting to the store is inconvenient, but part of being a responsible caregiver to animals is to do whatever it takes to cure them, or to end their pain quickly. When it comes to my animals, suffering is not an option.

When I was having trouble putting down my first sick bird someone on here told me, "what's easiest on you, is usually hardest on the bird." It was hard, but it was also over quickly, and I knew I had done the right thing. Best of luck.

8. kevinkeb4

Dec 3, 2007
    Spencerport,N.Y.
    Yeah,I asked my mom to pick me up some E,but I will call her back and ask her to get some selenium,but i'm not sure what that is.Like Selenium sulfide,or something.I know the name for some reason,but dont know how,or why I know it..Unless I read it on a bottle or can of something.The reason I dont go ,is I dont have a license therefore do not drive,and have to depend on my mom to help.

9. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Quote:Ah, no car makes things difficult. I'm sure that's frustrating to not have what you need when you're trying to do your best. I apologize if I was harsh in my previous post.

I know selenium is an element, and I'm not sure what form it comes from in the drug store. It will be with the other vitamins, and will simply say Selenium on the bottle. It's not expensive.

I had success with a mixture of blended up chick starter, hard boiled egg, electrolyte powder, vitamin E, and crushed selenium, diluted with enough water to make it like baby food. I fed it with a syringe- as much as I could get in her a few times a day. The vitamin E is a liquid, and can also be squirted into the beak. I found the syringe helpful for this as well.

Keep her warm and dry, and try to keep getting fluids in her. It sounds like you're doing the right things. Hopefully the E and selenium will help.

Keep us posted. This kind of treatment isn't an exact science. Maybe you'll get the right combo to make her better.

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry for your hen's problem. I don't know what could be causing it or how to treat it. The suggestions others gave are good, along with just keeping her comfortable in a warm dark snug box.

If it has to be done, a chicken can be quickly & humanely euthanized at home, no need to drive anywhere & spend anything on a professional. If you cannot bear to do it perhaps a relative, friend or neighbor could do it for you. Sometimes it helps to have an impartial person help your chicken cross to The Other Side of the Road, they can focus on doing the job effectively without being emotionally attatched.

I think the best way is cervical dislocation, breaking the neck with a quick firm yank. You can hold them under one arm & pull the head out & up with the other hand, or hold their head down with a broomstick over the neck/feet on the stick and yank up on the legs. Once the neckbones break with a crunch & the head is limp the bird has crossed to The Other Side, even though there will be some reflexive flapping to follow.

This is one of the most unpleasant aspects of keeping chickens, a small price to pay for all the pleasure & enjoyment they provide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by