Euthanizing FTT chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmerTony, Oct 5, 2016.

1. FarmerTony

FarmerTony Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    When I cleaned out the incubator at day 23 one of the eggs had a live chick in it when I threw the rest to the hogs. Its now day 25 and the poor thing just isn't thriving. What is the most humane kill method to keep it from just starving to death?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    There are many methods used for euthanizing chicks - you can find several by doing a quick read through various threads on the subject here on BYC - the most humane method for you to use will be the one that you are comfortable enough using to make a quick, clean end of things. No method that you are not comfortable enough using to make it quick and clean will be humane. Some folks are more comfortable with the "gorier" approaches like neck snapping, beheading, bleeding, etc.....even though those are generally the most humane when done correctly. If you are not fully comfortable it may be best to find someone who can do it for you that has less of an attachment as the emotional side is frequently what clouds the matter for some.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    That said - have you considered other approaches -- if the bird is being outpaced by faster/stronger chicks it may simply be a matter of needing to offer a more controlled environment where the chick has better access to the resources needed to promote healthy growth.

4. FarmerTony

FarmerTony Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    The issue is resolved, but the problem was that after 2 days it still wasn't walking or eating. It would drink if I stuck its beak in the water but wouldn't eat.

The kill method I used was porcine maceration (fed it to the hogs).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by