Euthenizing injured hen with injured leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TimM, Sep 6, 2014.

1. TimM

TimM Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    I'm a squeamish backyard amateur. One of my hens suffered a serious injury this morning and it may be necessary for me to put her out of her misery (I hope not!). Somehow (I can't imagine how) she got a string so tightly wrapped around her leg that it dug in and cut off the circulation for probably a couple of hours before I found her and cut off the string. Her foot is discolored and swollen and she is extremely lethargic. I have her isolated and resting now. If she does not recover and is suffering, what is the best way to take care of it? Thanks.

Tim

2. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Do you have other animals? If so, your vet may be willing to euthanize her. Mine generally doesn't treat poultry, but graciously agreed to euthanize our rooster. Some veterinary offices may be open Saturday mornings, so someone may be able to refer you to a vet who could help.

3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    She is more than likely stressed out for sure. Have you cleaned the wound with Betadine? Be sure to clean it really good. I'd also apply some Neosporin on it, too. Keep her isolated until she recovers...poor thing!

4. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    I limited my reply strictly to answer the question in your post, but realize I should clarify that I am not suggesting euthanasia today and (from your description of her injury) not any time soon.
    You're doing the right thing for her right now. They're resilient animals, for sure! I also believe you're doing the responsible thing in planning ahead for an end-of-life situation.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  5. TimM

TimM Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2010
    Thank you all for your thoughtful answers. She is now standing up, and she nibbled a bit of bread, so I am hopeful. I didn't clean the leg, as the skin was not broken. But the foot is badly discolored and swollen from not having any blood supply for several hours. Hopefully it will not get gangrene or some other such awful thing. Believe me, I'm in no hurry to put her down! I'll be watching her very closely.

6. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I'm so glad to hear that she is up and standing now! Give her a special treat today...she deserves it, poor little thing...good to hear the good news! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by