Even banty roos can be hazardous

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by columbiacritter, Apr 4, 2009.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    My husband picked up a hen who started protesting. All the roos came running and he thought he was ok since the big roo was keeping his distance and the more aggressive banty was just hackling at this feet, then he got hit from behind. He was NOT squatting, he was standing up right when the roo hit.

[​IMG]

This is a 2lb dutch no bigger than a tall pigeon. Who now has filed down spurs.

[​IMG]

The funny thing is when this all happen I was heading back to tell him the standard cochin roo had finally pushed me to far and one way or the other he was not going to live thru the weekend. My husband had argued on his behalf before, but no more. He has to work tomorrow so when he's gone I'm offing the nasty arse of a bird. His comment was, "Stew him."

[​IMG]

2. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    The banty roos are smaller and faster for sure ! I had one named Romeo a black Japanese bantam who would hide and run out to find you and your ankles !!! He did not want you anywhere near his ladies ! [​IMG][​IMG] BEWARE THE BANTAMS !!!!

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Ouch, Ive got some OEGBs that are pretty fiesty, and Ive got the scratches and cuts on my hands to prove it.

4. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I don't care what kind of bird they are. The smaller ones are the most dangerous!! I have 3 ft tall parrots and little tiny 5 and 6 inch ones. The smaller ones get me every time and boy do their bites HURT!!!!!

Your husbands ear looks SORE! OUCH!!

Laurie

5. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Yes my little bantam cochin roo Cletus was given to the dogs he kept hitting me and was leaving big bruies on the calves of my legs he would follow me all over the yard and hit me from behind i have put up with it for a couple months would pick him up and carry him around I just got sick of it.I won't tolerate it.I have too many roos anyways.

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

We only have bantam roos and they all are mean. [​IMG]

7. columbiacritter

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    He found a couple good talon scratches on his scalp when he showered lastnight. I'm thinking one more infraction and the banty roos will be McNuggets

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Aren't these the boomaroos who wouldn't land in snow?

9. Malibufarmer

Malibufarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2007
    dam he sure is lucky that did not get him in the eye.

Looks like you will have a nice chicken stew

10. columbiacritter

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:Yes, the beloved boomaroos, they are not headed for the chopping block, but they are getting their wings trimmed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by