even if chickens arnt laying do they still need layers pellets?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Johnn, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    ??

2. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    if your chicken are 18 weeks of age...you should start them on layer pellets

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    what else would you feed them?

4. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    no i have a 28 week old one who is the youngest 2 28-36 week olds and the rest age from 1 to 5 years old and i was thinking on giving them porridge oats for the winter until they start laying agin and put them back on layers pellets

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:why not combine the two? are you trying to save $ from not buying laying pellets? I dont know about porridge oats, personally, but as long as they are getting equal nutritional values-I dont see why not try..Does that porridge compare to layer pellets/feed??

6. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    yes i am trying to save money [​IMG] so i think i will cobine the two

7. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    or feed layers pellets one day and porridge oats the next

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Personally, I wouldn't. Oats are nutritionally deficient compared with layer rations. If it gets very cold where you are, your birds need enough calories to keep themselves warm. If you scrimp on their diet, they may lose weight and come out of the winter in poor condition which could result in fewer eggs for you when they resume laying in the spring.

I have noticed that my flock consumes quite a bit less of their layer feed during the winter, anyway. When they're not pumping out the eggs, they just don't need to gobble the food.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Lots of folks are being pressed economically in feeding their flocks. They cannot afford to do so anymore, especially with ever rising feed costs. The answer to all such posts must be consistent. Reduce your flock to a point where you can afford to feed them properly. Reducing the quality of feed below what is required for poultry health, simply isn't an option.

10. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Fred's Hens :

Lots of folks are being pressed economically in feeding their flocks. They cannot afford to do so anymore, especially with ever rising feed costs. The answer to all such posts must be consistent. Reduce your flock to a point where you can afford to feed them properly. Reducing the quality of feed below what is required for poultry health, simply isn't an option.

X2​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by