Even more silkie sexing...

TommyAndTricia

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 17, 2013
Horn Lake, Mississippi
I'm sure at this early of an age, all are probably too young to properly sex, but guesses are welcome.

Group photo in the coop. 1 Gallon Drinker and 7LB Feeder for sizing.

Silkie 1 - 3 Photos

Silkie 2 - 3 Photos

Silkie 3 - 3 Photos

Silkie 4 - 3 Photos

Silkie 5 - 3 Photos

Silkie on far right

Silkie 6 - 3 Photos

Silkie 7 - 3 Photos

Silkie 8 - 4 Photos

This one couldn't make up its mind on whether to have 4 toes or 5.

Silkie in the Background

These puffballs are all 8 weeks old. After digging around the internet trying to find out the best way for sexing these guys/gals, most photos that I have seen of Silkies in the same age range didn't appear to be as developed or as large as our babies. I have seen all silkies exhibit cockerel behavior such as Hackle flaring and chest bumping as another post on this forum suggested was an indicator of possible sex. I'm not sure that behavioral traits would be 100% accurate, but even though all sometimes exhibit the aforementioned traits, only 3 make a day long project out of it. Those three also "spar" with the 2 Bantams which are Roos. The only crowing from the coop are the two Bantams, which are the same age to the week as the Silkies. Another thing that I've noticed is that their feet range in sizes from tiny to full grown Yeti... what's that about?

Bantams:

Silver Sebright?

Booted?
Long feathers on feet and legs.

Lastly, another group photo.

Edit: Silkies are numbered for ID purposes... Our 2 year old daughter named them all... "Muffin". She apparently is just trying to keep things simple.

Last edited:
My ... educated guesses:

1- pullet (but a little iffy cause of comb color)
2- cockerel
3- cockerel
4- pullet (so/so on this one)
5- pullet possibly
6- pullet
7- cockerel
8- cockerel

And I added text to the last group pic of what I think based on stance. Though I can't tell them apart from the group pic, the number of silkies I think are possibly pullets and the number that I think are cockerels remain the same.

The one on the far right I think for sure is a cockerel.

My ... educated guesses:

1- pullet (but a little iffy cause of comb color)
2- cockerel
3- cockerel
4- pullet (so/so on this one)
5- pullet possibly
6- pullet
7- cockerel
8- cockerel

And I added text to the last group pic of what I think based on stance. Though I can't tell them apart from the group pic, the number of silkies I think are possibly pullets and the number that I think are cockerels remain the same.

The one on the far right I think for sure is a cockerel.

You have Silkie 1 labeled as a Pullet in the stance photo, and I'm of the same opinion even though the comb color is somewhat misleading. Other than that, my guesses were on the money with yours except for Silkie 6 which almost has a standard comb shape coming in. On a side note, Silkie 1's comb coloration could be due to the fact that she runs into EVERYTHING. I'm surprised she isn't brain dead from severe head trauma.

Edit: Silky 4's comb isn't pronounced at all. The angle of picture may have you on the fence, but she wouldn't stay still long enough to get a good shot.

Last edited:
You have Silkie 1 labeled as a Pullet in the stance photo, and I'm of the same opinion even though the comb color is somewhat misleading. Other than that, my guesses were on the money with yours except for Silkie 6 which almost has a standard comb shape coming in. On a side note, Silkie 1's comb coloration could be due to the fact that she runs into EVERYTHING. I'm surprised she isn't brain dead from severe head trauma.

Edit: Silky 4's comb isn't pronounced at all. The angle of picture may have you on the fence, but she wouldn't stay still long enough to get a good shot.

Oh gosh! Lol, my Sunflower (a partridge silkie) is the same. She runs into stuff 'cause her crest is so fluffy! Silkies seem to be pretty ditzy too in general lol! Looking closer now, it does look like the comb isn't changing reddish, but like it happened because of outward trauma.

Oh, okay, I can't remember why I said so/so on Silkie 4, but it must've been because of the comb and how wide it looks, but it's not really pronounced so I'm not sure why I decided on that haha. Her stance is low like a pullet and the crest is nice and round so I'd think she is a girl definitely.

Do my guesses all match up with the full-picture labels? I'm very curious.

So do you think Silkie 6 is a cockerel then?

Oh gosh! Lol, my Sunflower (a partridge silkie) is the same. She runs into stuff 'cause her crest is so fluffy! Silkies seem to be pretty ditzy too in general lol! Looking closer now, it does look like the comb isn't changing reddish, but like it happened because of outward trauma.

Oh, okay, I can't remember why I said so/so on Silkie 4, but it must've been because of the comb and how wide it looks, but it's not really pronounced so I'm not sure why I decided on that haha. Her stance is low like a pullet and the crest is nice and round so I'd think she is a girl definitely.

Do my guesses all match up with the full-picture labels? I'm very curious.

So do you think Silkie 6 is a cockerel then?

On the stance, you got 'em all right. As for Silkie 6, I'm going to say pullet for now, but the comb development is completely different(and odd) from the others. We'll see in time, I guess, lol.

You mentioned that some of your birds have really large feet. That tends to be the case with roosters. Their feet are big and their legs longer and thicker than those of the pullets. Why don't you cross check the guesses on gender with the size of the feet? See if they match up?

You mentioned that some of your birds have really large feet. That tends to be the case with roosters. Their feet are big and their legs longer and thicker than those of the pullets. Why don't you cross check the guesses on gender with the size of the feet? See if they match up?

I can attest to that too. My silkie roos, Willow and Albedo have HUGE feet, while Sunflower and Gracey, the pullets, have itty bitty feet!
You can also try feeling the back of their necks. My roosters' necks have rough feathers so they feel.. rough. My pullets have soft silky necks!

Here are my guesses:

Silkie 1: Pullet
Silkie 2: Cockerel
Silkie 3: Cockerel
Silkie 4: Pullet
Silkie 5: Pullet
Silkie 6: Pullet
Silkie 7: Cockerel
Silkie 8: Cockerel

Your first bantam is not a Silver Sebright. It just looks like a mix of several breeds to me. It is a cockerel. The second bantam is also mixed, and appears to be be a cockerel as well. I'd say that he has some Silkie or Cochin in him, as well as some Wyandotte or Rosecomb (accounting for the rose comb).

Hope this helps!

I'm not a Silkie expert, but I think they're a bit young to tell for sure. However, 2, 3, 7, and 8 are more cockerel-looking. Your other chickens appear to be mixed breeds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom