1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Even or uneven? What is best?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Fuzz Fuzz, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Fuzz Fuzz

Fuzz Fuzz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Netherlands
    What is best? An even number of chickens or an uneven number of chickens?

I'm going to make some new runs and coops for breeding, so i can put groups together to breed with.

I want to make them to hold a specific number of chickens, but now i wondred if it is better to have an even number of birds or an uneven number of birds. Or doesn't it matter?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It really does not matter as long as there are at least two. They are flock animals and need the companionship. One advantage with at least three is that if one dies the others still have company, but in your breeding situation, you may be able to handle that.

For ease of construction and to avoid waste, you may find it beneficial to use standard construction sizes for your dimensions. Here it the US, that is usually 4' and 8'.

3. Fuzz Fuzz

Fuzz Fuzz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Netherlands
    Thanks for your respons.

I am going to try and build some moveble coops and runs so i can let them go together when i'm not breeding and still can put them in breedinggroups when i want to incubait there eggs.

I'll go and see what sizes the wood comes in that i want to use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by