Even us veterans have problems

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Grampa with chickens, May 5, 2009.

1. Grampa with chickens

Grampa with chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    Well I believe my hatch is done. From my other thread, I set 9 Bourbon Red Turkeys and 13 turkens and one surprise Rhode Island White.

The RIW hatched with no problems. I have 5 turkens that have hatched. I had to help #5 out as he was shrink wrapped in the shell. One is dead in the shell after pipping. The other 7 haven't pipped yet. I will give them some more time but I'm not very hopeful. 2 of the turkens may have to be culled due to having feathers on the neck. They too may have a couple of days to see what happens.

Now on to the Turkeys, I had 3 hatch. One was flopping on its back and would not stay upright. After 3 days, he had to be culled. I have two left. The rest I decided to do eggtopsys. They were fully developed, but never made it through the membrane. I really wanted at least 2 hens and a tom. I don't know what they are yet.

I'm not sure what happened, but all I can figure was it must have been a humidity problem. My humidity was 65 to 70% and spiked to 80%. I rmoved some humidity back to 58% and it came up back to 65% with in an hour.

I guess this was my bad hatch for the season. This was my 7th or 8 th batch and I guess I got a little cocky. This sucks!!!

Well I guess I will try again as I collect more eggs.
    I'm really sad about the turkeys. I guess I'll wait to see what I have as far as sex before I figure out what I'm going to do.

This just goes to show even when you know what to do, you still have bad hatches. [​IMG]

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im so sorry-what was your humidity for the first 18 days? Did the bator spike a temp during the last week? mine did this am and I get worried too much-it was at 101.1 for days-got up this am and it was 102.6-I lowered it a little and put more water in-the humidty was 30% I feel better when it is 40%-keep us posted on more of your outcome?

3. Grampa with chickens

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    Humidity was 35-40% for the first 18 days. Temp was pretty stable. They were fully developed. Just didn't pip. I've had great hatches before and I changed nothing. [​IMG] I guess stuff happens.

4. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Sorry Grandpa, it does suck when the same things and the same system cause different results.

I had to do a LOT of helping with the disaster hatch but I had to change a LOT because I was handling and candling more than I ever usually do.

Sometimes it looks so normal and the results just suck. I think nature just runs like that at times. Better luck next time and [​IMG]

Wish my Grandpa had had poultry.

5. Grampa with chickens

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    Thanks,

I wish nature would have screwed up my own eggs. Those are easy to replace. But my turkeys, I was really looking forward to. If I can figure out how to sex them, maybe I got lucky and got one of each. Although, I don't like breeding hatch mates. Maybe I'll come across some more eggs or poults and can get a breeding trio that way.

I need to figure out what I have before I start looking again.

On to the next Hatch.

6. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    If you find someone going from Knoxville TN to you in Florida and want poults - you let me know LOL I appear to have more than enough to share this year. And they're like to be a wickedly spoiled human bonded lot to boot.

7. Grampa with chickens

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    Now this IS funny. My Folks are headed for their summer home in Crossville. Just going the wrong way.

Story of my life......

Day late dollar short going the wrong way [​IMG]

8. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Well that really is a small world, wrong way sort of thing.

If Laura goes to visit her father on the AL/FL border this summer maybe we can still set things up [​IMG] You should have turkeys and I probably (gasp) shouldn't have so many. I did NOT just say that. [​IMG]

9. Grampa with chickens

Nov 23, 2008
    Brooksville, Florida
    Now even a smaller world, I just got a German Shepherd Puppy.

AL/FL border is a ways from me. I'm near Tampa. But depending on her Route, well ya never know.

10. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Bet there's a BYCer near the border and another somewhere that goes from there toward Tampa [​IMG] We just need the proper underground turkey railroad.

Bourbon RED enabler ALERT.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by