Ever accidently let the chickens out???

rebbetzin

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Tucson AZ
Today I was busy trying to fix the barricade between the nest box and the coop, (so they wouldn't try to roost in the nest box) I must have neglected to shut the door to the run all the way... And I turned around and there were my four hens happy as can be scratching in the garden!!

My heart sunk, I shut the gate that goes into the rest of the backyard. Thankfully I was able to catch each of them without too much trouble. But it was a lesson to be sure!!

Last edited:
They are escape artist. Didn't you know this? Mine will jump on the opportunity to get out.
wink.png

Don't have to worry about that here as my girls won't go near the run when they see snow and it is way to cold outside.

They are all yelling
WHATS WRONG WITH YOU ? WERE YOU BORN IN A BARN ? SHUT THE DOOR !!!!!!!
17209_smiley-talk017.gif

any time my one lonely duck CAN, he dashes out and attacks the DOGS... i did not raise him but i heard he was raised with dogs and he thinks he is a dog???? i tryed to get other ducks but he ignores them, he just want to be with the dogs...
my chickens are all kept in pretty large enclosers.. so an open door, they usually dont look twice... i have had a few sneak out to investigate.. but always run back in when they see me or a dog..

ya a couple of times they have gotten out, once or twice because I left the door open, and the others the wind blew it open.

Both times they just got out and scrached around in the yard.

Personally I wasn't worried about them being out, but I am supposed to keep them 15 feet from the property line, and they definitely were not.

I always have a couple that get out and roam around during the day and I have left the door open and all have gotten out. Mine always come running back in when I head toward the pen with a scoop of feed though so it's no big deal. My pen is not covered so there are those that learn that and are going to come and go as they please. I loose about 3 a year due to this and stuff getting them.

LOL my problem is with the chicken getting IN! My flock happily free ranges during the day with the exception of my first hen who thinks she is a mechanic and like to hang in my husbands shop. She actually hides behind buckets and stuff and then when one of the guys goes in or out rushes in between their legs, then there is no catching her. There is a wood stove in there to kepp the guys warm in the winter and she lays on her side on a shelf near it and stretches her"toes" out to the fire to keep warm . . . I thought she was dead the first time I saw that!

I have had some get out then they go crazy trying to find a way back in to be with the rest of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom