1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ever cross buff orpington and jersey giants?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cupman, Jun 17, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I was thinking of breeding some chickens but I wasn't sure which breed I wanted to do. Does anyone have any pictures of a buff orpington/jersey giant cross? I would be real curious to see what type of chicken that produced.

2. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    I'm not directly crossing those two breeds, but I am crossing a BR x BO rooster with a Jersey Giant hen this year... as soon as we get them hatched I will post pics

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    WIll it look like a Reese's Peanut BUtter cup????[​IMG]

Love my young BO pullets--may consider the Jersey black cross!

4. PowerMom

PowerMom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2011
    I may have a buff Jersey giant chick.[​IMG] It is a gorgeous buff color, and twice the size of all the other chicks, so we call her GI-NORMASAUR [​IMG] ( or Eleanor to my daughter). She makes our little silver bantam look puny! All the chicks are only 3 weeks old, and starting to feather........so cute when they try to fly![​IMG]

5. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    I have a friend in north GA who crossed a Black Jersey hen with a BO rooster. I saw the results at 9 months and on of the rosters looked like a giant New Hampshire. Very nice looking, very big and very docile. Because of those birds, I now have six Jerseys to breed.

6. jt-007

jt-007 New Egg

Sep 16, 2015
    tennessee
    did you ever figure out the jg and bo cross?
    I have three jerseys that are starting to lay soon and four buff baby chicks that I haven't determined their sex yet...
    was hoping to find some pics!

7. rreid87

rreid87 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2014
    Hatched last week,the dark chick's are from JG hen x BO rooster.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

8. jt-007

jt-007 New Egg

Sep 16, 2015
    tennessee
    thanks for sharing! those look great, hope you can keep us posted of their maturity with updated pics!

9. Animama

Animama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2015
    [​IMG] I did. These are from a pen of Jersey and Buff hens with Jersey and Buff roos. Coming on 4 wks old. Some look buff, one little roo is all jersey. Some have amazing lacing. I'm really impressed with the lacing being reversed on diff ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by