Ever git eggs that look like this ?.........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JimnJanet, Apr 11, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Look at the one on the lower far right.

[​IMG]

Here are 2 closeups so you can see there is a "tecture" to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Is it gritty? I have a girl that lays an egg that feels like sand paper. Im sure it doesnt feel too good when she lays it!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have seen eggs like that before.

They eat just fine. [​IMG]

If it doesn't happen often don't worry over it.

4. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Yep and some odd shaped eggs now and then. Any miscolored or odd shape eggs I get, I blow the insides out and save the shell. I have baskets full of blowed eggs. ......ed

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I get them like that from time to time, nothing to worry about. [​IMG]

6. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    ok...1st off I've really been wanting to know...b/c it scares me...what is the thing in your avitar? 2ndly I was going to post the same topic actually b/c 2 of the pendesenca eggs I got are very gritty/cementy feeling and I was concerned they might seep during incubation. Was told they are quite common, particularly in that breed. 3rd - what is that HUGE egg on the bottom left from?

7. LisaJean

LisaJean Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Heehee, I wondered too, until I saw one at a flea market. It's a metal sculpture of a chicken, made from nuts and bolts and things. You're seeing it from directly above, so it sort of looks like a facehugger from Alien. He's put an egg on the chicken's back.

Oh, and OP, I've had an egg like that, too! Like heavy sandpaper.

8. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Quote:EXACTLY!!!

9. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I got eggs like those all the time from one of my Black Australorps - before she went broody and then went to the butcher. [​IMG] / [​IMG]

10. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:Heehee, I wondered too, until I saw one at a flea market. It's a metal sculpture of a chicken, made from nuts and bolts and things. You're seeing it from directly above, so it sort of looks like a facehugger from Alien. He's put an egg on the chicken's back.

Oh, and OP, I've had an egg like that, too! Like heavy sandpaper.

OK, first the story, sure ya wanna know ? he he.

Janet and i were allways trippin over each other when it came time to give our girls thier morning and evening treat,cracked corn, and we shortened the question from.."hon, did you give the girls thier cracked corn yet ?" to .."did you crack the birds yet?". From there it went into a joke about our girls doin crack.
    One day while out on the side of the house fillin the wild bird feaders i found that "thing" in my avitar in the weeds on the side of the house. (we had recently moved in here). Soooooo...i took our "girls on crack" joke a step further.
    When Janet came home from work the day i found it i called her into the sitting room and calmly said..." hon, something happened to one of our girls today "...after she got a worried look on her face i said..." she OD'd on crack and .........."oh no, did one die?".........i said......."no, but she sure is wired" and i pulled the wire chicken out from behind my chair and showed it to her. [​IMG] .
    OK, i guess ya had to be there. [​IMG] Sooooo. ...we decided to use our "wired" chicken fer our avitar.
    As you can see. Crack will not only git yer birds wired but it will also confuse her as to what she does with her eggs. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by