ever give your birdies a bath?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by angelfishfan, Nov 16, 2014.

1. angelfishfan

angelfishfan In the Brooder

Aug 23, 2014
    Snohomish, Wa
    So, as I posted in another thread, I have a cuckoo maran roo who got chewed on by something. Ive been cleaning him up, I have his segregated him from the flock, and he seems to be doing alright. He has a large baldy spot on his neck where the predator pulled out his feathers, there is a small wound there. Then of course there is his head and eye wound. I have cut back the feathers and tried wiping it up a bit. I eas thinkin of maybe giving him a bath and trying to get all the crusty stuff out of his feathers. Yay or ney? Pros and cons? If so what kind of soap do I use? Any pointers or suggestions?[​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

You can bathe him if he's healthy, eating and perky, but do it indoors and don't let him get chilled. NEVER bathe a sick bird, period.

-Kathy

3. casportpony

If he were mine I would check every square inch for wounds and treat appropriately.

-Kathy

4. angelfishfan

angelfishfan In the Brooder

Aug 23, 2014
    Snohomish, Wa
    See this is why I ask yo7 guys, without you guys I wouldn't know any better. I have checked him over and im doing my best to facilitate recovery. I wiped him up, used bacitracin, he is isolatednto keep from being pecked, and I added electrolytes to his water

5. casportpony

Go through his feathers, like the way monkeys preen each other for bugs. Some wounds are very easy to miss.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: