ever give your birdies a bath?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by angelfishfan, Nov 16, 2014.

1. angelfishfan

angelfishfan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2014
    Snohomish, Wa
    So, as I posted in another thread, I have a cuckoo maran roo who got chewed on by something. Ive been cleaning him up, I have his segregated him from the flock, and he seems to be doing alright. He has a large baldy spot on his neck where the predator pulled out his feathers, there is a small wound there. Then of course there is his head and eye wound. I have cut back the feathers and tried wiping it up a bit. I eas thinkin of maybe giving him a bath and trying to get all the crusty stuff out of his feathers. Yay or ney? Pros and cons? If so what kind of soap do I use? Any pointers or suggestions?[​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You can bathe him if he's healthy, eating and perky, but do it indoors and don't let him get chilled. NEVER bathe a sick bird, period.

-Kathy

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If he were mine I would check every square inch for wounds and treat appropriately.

-Kathy

4. angelfishfan

angelfishfan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2014
    Snohomish, Wa
    See this is why I ask yo7 guys, without you guys I wouldn't know any better. I have checked him over and im doing my best to facilitate recovery. I wiped him up, used bacitracin, he is isolatednto keep from being pecked, and I added electrolytes to his water

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Go through his feathers, like the way monkeys preen each other for bugs. Some wounds are very easy to miss.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by