Ever had a quail with West Nile, EEE or WEE??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by TwoCrows, May 21, 2011.

1. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Has anyone ever had one of their quail get West Nile, Western Equine Encephalitis or the Eastern Equine Encephalitis? I have a suspected one year old female that shows every symptom of WEE, possibly West Nile, and has reoccuring bouts of illness that is usually associated with one or all of the above conditions. She has shown symptoms since last September. From what I understand, horses, humans and birds exibit nearly the same symptoms.

I was just wondering if anyone has had such a thing happen to their quail so I can compare notes and try to figure out what is ailing this girl. Any info would be of great help [​IMG]

2. kahlertm

kahlertm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Durango, Colorado
    My main job at the Health Dept in Durango Colo. 2001 to 2005 was to track zoonoses; West Nile, WEE, Rabies, Plague, etc. I used to have to swab the inside of the mouth of the dead Crows brought in, trap mosquitos in creepy swampy places, identify them under microscope and send the correct species in for testing for WNV. If you live in an area that is pronounced by your health dept as having this type of infection present in the mosquito population, you could possibly see if they were willing to do a blood sample to see. The West Nile research and alarm grant we were given in our district, by the state, allowed us to test dead birds and send in blood samples in cooperation with the Vets. The dept even then was "low on funds" for research on a live creature. We would have referred you to your Vet. Your vet could pull blood and send in a sample to test for WNV. Some swab tests are quick and on the spot testing giving a result right there... And talk about "low funds", right now public health is not "rollin in the dough" [​IMG]. Nobody is for that matter right now. [​IMG]

Check your local Health Dept. first. Ask for the Environmental Health division and ask if there is someone that can talk to you about your guess on your quail. Next stop would be your Vet. (or the other way around [​IMG].)

Those are the two professions that will help you find out if your area is heavy with these mosquito borne diseases.

Either way, it does not pass on to the human in the eggs for eating or meat. The sentinal chicken flocks kept in our Colorado research flocks just lived with the disease. A mosquito that bit them, and then bit you though, could pass on the disease to you... That is the route of transmission. Through the mosquito bite. Not through the cooked meat, or the egg.

Respectfully,
    Tonya

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Tonya, thank you very much for this valueable information. As far as I know there has only been one case in the the last decade of WEE in a horse in my county, although all the counties surrounding me have had horses with WEE nearly every year the mosquitoes are heavy. Last summer our monsoon season was the heaviest we have had in decades and the mosquitoes were ferocious. The quail aviary was just buzzing with them.

When my little quail came down with what I thought was WEE, I hopped on the research and dug around for months, trying to self diagnose her. When I was a younger we had a horse that contracted WEE and the symptoms of what this horse had and how my quail acted were identical. All of it. The neck tremors, head pressing, confusion, lameness, fever with chills, couldn't swallow, and bouts of pancreatitis. (sp) There were times when I thought she wasn't going to make it. But as we did with our horse, the care given was what saved them both. (heat lamps, hand feeding mash, vitamins and lots of love). Every month or so, she will have reoccuring bouts of many of these symptoms, except the lameness. The bouts keep getting further apart, (they used to come every other week, and have progressed to these longer periods of remission), and I am hoping at some point she recovers completely.

So posting this here seemed like the thing to do. I am going to look into this and see what comes of it. I think she is long past the stage of dying anymore, but when she is suffering, I always feel the need to do something.

Thank you again Tonya, you have been a great help. I never really knew what to do about this. I wasn't sure my local vet would know anything, especially about quail. And never considered my local health extension. So now I do have some place to start. [​IMG]

-Leyla

Last edited: May 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by