Ever had a rooster turn nice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JenniferJoIN, Feb 8, 2008.

1. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Our rooster, Fred, (A Golden Laced Wyandotte) has always been standoffish. He's never attacked us, but he's always watched us closely.

Well, lately, he's been letting me pet him. He'll stand really still while I 'scratch' his back.

Has anyone else had a not-so-friendly rooster end up being friendly?

2. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

So what was the trick Jen? Hopefully that "southern Indiana hospitality" will work when i get my rooster! LOL

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sounds like he's just gotten used to you and doesn't see you as much as a threat anymore. Have you been slipping him some treats? That seems to convince my BLRW roo that I'm not an enemy!

4. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    That's the crazy part. He tries to do-his-thing with the younger chickens, so I'll kick him off... so it's not like I'm being nicer to him or anything. He just seems to have mysteriously settled down a little bit. Crazy Rooster! [​IMG]

5. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    I really need to find out what you did about your roo. My 22 week old roo nailed me good yesterday morning. My daughter had told me about his dancing around her, and I advised her to pick him up and give him a good shake and talking to. Well, when I let him and his sister out yesterday, he started his dance on me. When I went to pick him up, he pecked me and brought blood. Wrong thing to do!! I grabbed him held on to his feet and neck, shook him real good, swung him around a little, and told him that next time would not be pleasant for him at all. When I set him down, he took off. Hope it worked, for his sake.

6. schlitch

schlitch Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2007
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I've had some of the hens that I got around the same time you did Jennifer, be very standoffish and now want to be near and petted, and I've had some the liked being petted when they were younger that now don't want you to touch them at all.

Our rooster, which was a gift last July at 4.5 months old was brought up wrong. They petted it but they also let it chase them around the yard. At first I attempted to push him away or gently lift him with my foot when he would rush and puff up. All that seemed to do was make him more angry and want to fight more. So my next approach was to just stop and stand not giving any ground when he ran towards me. That worked, he hasn't attempted to actually attack anymore. Once I stand for about 10-15 seconds I take a step towards him, and then slowly another and he will move away. After about a minute he doesn't really pay much attention to me. But I believe he is just doing what comes naturally. He hears something coming and runs off to defend his ladies. I like that in him and have learned what works for us. He doesn't do it everytime, but when he does that's the way we handle it now.

Gosh I didn't intend to write that much only a quick response. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by