1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ever had an owl in the coop?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gitanesteel, Jan 5, 2010.

1. gitanesteel

gitanesteel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    Ellensburg, WA
    A week or so ago I walked into my chicken coop to make sure everything was buttoned up at night. The small side door had been left open and when I shut it I heard a scraping noise. The chickens were quiet. I looked in the "annex" and there was a little baby owl (4-5 inches tall) hanging on by the window. He landed on the roost and then all heck broke loose with the chickens.

I never thought I'd have an owl in my coop especially when the only access was through a 12" opening at the bottom of a wall.

[​IMG]

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Not in my coop, or even in my yard

I saw the biggest most beautiful owl out on a dusky overcast day when I was deer hunting though. It perched on the branch of a pine tree just above my level so I got a good look at it. It was BIG!

3. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

He was probably after rodents.

4. gitanesteel

gitanesteel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2009
    Ellensburg, WA
    There's plenty of mice that's for sure. Just so long as it doesn't remember what's in the coop when it's fullgrown.

5. Phox01

Phox01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Straughn , Indiana
    actually that looks like a full grown screech owl . I have raised a few and he is a match to them.

Mary

6. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Wow... that picture is awesome!

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Quote:I must agree. My first thought was "this is no baby but a full-grown screech". Still, you probably want it out of your coop.

8. quailraisingMan

quailraisingMan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    hahaha, keep it as a pet [​IMG] make use of the owl as the coop defender aganist rodents

9. Daidohead

Daidohead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Red Bluff, Ca
    Great pic. My kids had that same look when I caught them doing somethin they shouldn't have been doing.

10. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    I found one during a bad snowstorm near Chicago about 40 yrs ago. Went to get firewood for the house and he was sitting on the ground about frozen. It was just about dark by then. High winds. Blizzard conditions. I picked him up and brought him inside and set him up on the garage door track. I found a couple of fryers in the freezer and took out the livers and thawed/warmed them up stuck on a coathanger over a gas burner. Took it to him and fed him and boy he ate that hot liver up pronto! I let him out a day later.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by