1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ever had this happen?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Blisschick, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Okay, I've just about seen it all.

Eggs laid with just barely a membrane, eggs with soft shells, deformed eggs, double yolks...but never this.

One of my Jerseys has laid the tiniest egg I've ever seen. They normally lay good-sized large eggs, but this one is bantam sized and perfectly shaped. I candled it out of curiosity, and it has no yolk with only a tiny air cell about the diameter of a pencil eraser.

I laughed my butt off!

2. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I has never happened to me (yet)- but I've heard of tiny eggs being laid.

Personally, I got my first membrane only egg and my first double yolker in January. I was weird weather then too and shortly thereafter, the ladies started to eat oystershell like there was no tomorrow.

Sandra

3. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    I will get a lot of double yolkers when my chickens first start laying eggs usually until their reproductive systems gets synchronize. Never seen a egg laid without a yolk.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  4. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    I've got a tiny egg once from my RIR. Cutest thing ever. I'll try to post a pic if I can get the camera away from DH.

5. HenHappy

HenHappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2007
    on my way to you....
    Okay. It was a struggle, but I got the camera!

[​IMG]

I love the Teeny Weenies...[​IMG]

Darn. A bit out of focus.

6. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:My wife tells me she has seen chicken eggs without the yolk, she says no lucky.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  7. chickchair

chickchair Rest in Peace 1959-2011

Jan 3, 2007
    Lol...I've seen a few of those... They're called "Wind" eggs, or "Rooster" eggs. They usually are a perfect but tiny shell, little or no yolk, and all they mean is someone is gearing up, or someone is gearing down to broody, laying, end of laying before molt, or first egg after molt...

I've never seen anything about them to be concerned over.... (They are cute though....) [​IMG]

8. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Mine looked like that in comparison. They are cute!

I guess my girl is gearing up. They've been laying pretty good here lately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by