Ever Had This Kind Of Conversation???

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MagsC, Sep 13, 2008.

1. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Well, first off, I am not sure where to start but here goes! I was talking to a woman today about chickens and her "reasoning" on whether they should or should not allow chickens anyplace was exactly this "If people are allowed chickens, then they are going to want pigs". Say WHAT???? To me, wanting chickens or wanting pigs is as different as apples and oranges. I must be missing something.[​IMG]
    What would YOUR response be to that comment?

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Her thinking processes are limited. Just smile when engaged in a conversation
    like that. Ask why she feels that way. Let her find her own flaws in her thoughts
    rather than pointing them out for her.

However, she does have a point but I doubt she knows it. A lot of us started out with
    a few chickens as pets, then went to raising some for meat, then tried other things
    like turkey and quail, and now would love to try a pig or goats. The whole mini farm
    thing is very addictive. We are trying to sell our 1/2 acre property to by a bigger
    piece of land in a more agricultural area so we can have that mini farm.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I think my mouth would just fall open and hit the ground....completely dumbfounded.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Well, being me, first I'd laugh at her (very nicely though - not to be mean, just because those questions/discussions are always funny to me).

I'd need to know if she was talking about farm pigs or pot-bellied pigs.

If she was talking farm pigs, I'd simply explain the HUGE differences of raising meat pigs vs. raising chickens.

Now, she could have been talking about pot-bellied pigs. Lots of people do keep them as pets and that would be a much harder 'argument' since they are actually very clean, non smelly, smart, etc.

5. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    Well for one, she is an idiot and I would probably say so. Second I don't understand what pigs have to do with chickens either. Just because you like chickens doesn't have to mean you like pigs or vice versa. I love chickens. But I don't want pigs. I know a lady at church that her family raises pigs but they don't want chickens. Maybe she thinks they are the gateway animal [​IMG] Once you get chickens you want everything [​IMG]

Actually , they are the gateway animal. Thinking back now I WAS discussing the diffrent farm animals I want whenever we can move to a bigger place lol.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  6. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Have you ever been to that landmark forum thingy? My sister went there and now she says stuff like that all the time. Ya, that was kinda random but anyways...

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:Have you ever been to that landmark forum thingy? My sister went there and now she says stuff like that all the time. Ya, that was kinda random but anyways...

No. Link me to it please. It sounds interesting.
    I just deal with people a lot and have read and listened to a lot of
    things about having and winning an argument, not that I practice
    what I preach. [​IMG]

8. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    To some people it is the same thing. They wouldn't want either. The rest of us not so much. And some who do have both have a totally different perspective I suppose! [​IMG]

9. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    WE WANT PIGS!!!

Seriously LOL we started with chickens..really we did...but we are also on 7 acres in the country, not a little place in town or town limits.

We just got goats and hope to add a couple head of beef and maybe one day, pigs....Not a lot, just a couple..fresh bacon and porkchops, ya know? lol

She is probably just afraid that if people are allowed to get chickens then they would soon be allowed to have other livestock and it will "mess up" her idea of town life.

10. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I've never wanted to raise pigs. Now goats, that's a different matter. I was wandering out there behind the coop the other day thinking I had enough room for a couple dairy goats....so go back there, find that woman and tell her chickens lead to goats, not pigs! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by