Ever have 2nd thoughts about selling your poultry?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would be upset too. The only animals that belong is cages is rabbits because they eat computer cords. [​IMG]

3. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    I fully understand. I sold 12 silkies to a person and they wanted some lav AM. So I am going close the next day so told them I would deliver them . When I got there they had 6 left and were in a 2x4 wire bottom cage. I had to tell them I couldn't bring the AM's and am still wondering how they still had 6 living. I felt so bad for them chickens you wouldn't believe. I do know for a fact they will never get anything from me personally again.

4. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    This is precisely why I cannot breed chickens! I arrogantly do not think anyone can take care of my animals and love them like I do! LOL Well maybe a few people but not too many...

5. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I don't know I have been accused by DW of being obsessed with my birds. [​IMG] I spend way too much on them.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I just got my Stellar Coop finally built and man, that's a coop [​IMG] My peafowl are penned but it's a lot of room and I only have one pair of India Blues. No wire bottom, nice dirt and pine shavings. I am hestitant to sell my birds (hence why I like selling hatching eggs more). People in the area don't really know some of the breeds I raise and although they are "pretty" I have put a lot of money and effort keeping them that way.

7. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    That would have horrified me!!!!! [​IMG]
    I give everybody the same food, shelter and safety talk.
    But I had a couple about 6 weeks ago that bought 3 poults, I asked all the right questions and gave my speech. They wrote me 4 days later said they died and they didn't think they ever ate. [​IMG] They did not put them under a light, and they had no other chicks like they said.
    Everybody else that bought the same day old poults just thrived.
    They wanted more and I didn't sell them any.

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    All the time.... I get attached to some special ones- and hold them back until I know I have the right buyer for them. At times I get calls or emails and just get a feeling that the people really dont know what they are getting into with their first ducks. I was contacted on Valentines day- a girl wanting to buy her boyfriend a duckling as a present... " no sorry I have nothing available at the moment. " To the person who emailed saying they had lost some to a fox and wanted to replace them... " No Sorry I have nothing available at present- but please feel free to contact me when you have rebuild their coop so they are safe. I will even be happy to drop the ducks off to you and make sure your improvements will ensure their safety. " Those people did rebuild the coop - and a year later- the ducks are still alive and happy in their new home.

While I cannot be certain of the exact care all the ducks I sell will receive- I do try at least to make sure the people buying them know of resources available to them- as well as the ability to contact me at any time should they have questions. I do know though- that if people did not buy my birds- they would still buy them from someone else - and knowing that I can provide the people with information and help to raise and care for the birds makes me feel better about it. I know the guy who sells ducklings each week at a city market doesnt care if most of them die or end up dumped at public parks ponds and creeks. he is not interested in the welfare of the ducks he hatches- he sells for a business. Me..I do it because I enjoy raising ducks and feel good to be part of sharing that wonderful experience with other people.

9. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Ha! This is how I think too...glad to hear others admit their arrogance [​IMG] [​IMG]

Since the animals were well fed and the pens clean, maybe it's just ignorance?? Maybe they just don't know what the wire can do?? Maybe you could enlighten them...

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by