Ever have a chicken you didn't like?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by princess araucana, Aug 9, 2009.

1. princess araucana

princess araucana Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I, like many of you am kindly referred to chicken lady. They sit on my lap, I share my ice cream, you name it: I love chickens.

Then why does this new chicken of mine just rub me the wrong way?!!
    I feel like she gives the stink eye, taught the other 3 chicks to be paranoid freaks and actually scratched my face and drew blood when I was trying to get her back in the pen!!! [​IMG]

I am tempted to give her back to the friend I got her from...
    But feel like she bonded with the other newbies.

Would it stress the other youngsters if I got rid of her (and the newly vocal roo!)? [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Give her back. The flock wil lbe fine.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, I had one whose personality just rubbed me the wrong way. When I gave a friend my roo and two of his favorite hens to restart her flock, nameless went with him.

4. princess araucana

princess araucana Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for the support!

I think I will keep 2 of the 4 I have raised, give back "Miss Ohio" ("she wants to do right, but not right now" -Gillian Welch!) and the roo. Keep the cuckoo maran and the RIR

He is gorgeous! THe free fancy chick from McMurray, a silver spangled hamburg. I thought since he was a bantam he might be a little more quiet, but now I don't think so...

5. twentynine

twentynine Songster

Jun 14, 2009
    Yes! Rooster named Big Whitey.

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    And to answer your thread's question: sorta. We have a banty cochin we got when she was a couple of months old. She is nearly 1 1/2 years old and has never laid an egg. Her personality is nearly nonexistant... so much so that I sometimes call her "Lump". I love the other chickens a lot. I don't want to see Tribble croak but when it's her time, I won't be heart-broken.

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Noooooooooooo!!!!! Give it a little bit of time and see what happens. Give the chicken another week. She/ he just might be scared.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I have had several hundred chickens from time to time, and yes there was a bad one or two in there somewhere.

AL

10. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    One or two little roos that liked to chase and fight - they fo to freezer camp tomorrow as a matter of fact. That is IF hubby gets my plucker done! My ladies have not given me any trouble so far. I do have some I prefer over the others, some that will live out their lives as long as that may be and they have names, and some that I will probably replace next year with pullets/chicks since I'm not that attached to them. There are degrees to which I "care" for my chickens. Sorry, but there it is! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: