Ever heard of fluffing your hens butts?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CANDLE98, May 13, 2009.

1. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    A friend of mine swears by this for her sexlinks. She faces the hens towards her then she fluffs their butt feathers, and they come back for more! She doesn't have a roo and her girls lay really well. So I decided to try that with my RIR's and they do the squat and then walk away and fluff all up! My Roo got really mad at me and pecked my hand! I think he thought I was doing "his" job! funny roo!

2. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. CANDLE98

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Am I really the only one that has heard of this? It is pretty funny....

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Never heard of it, but that is hilarious!

5. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

wow i never heard that one, its interesting, but I dont really plan on getting to intimate with my girls' butts unless there is a medical reason! It'd be funny to have a control group and see who lays better tho [​IMG]

6. CANDLE98

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Okay so you don't touch their actuall butts, just the feathers on the sides... for anyone who was confused

7. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I HAVE to fluff them or they won't get out of my way. I walk in the coop and they squat at my feet and won't move til I fluff their tails. They then stand up all proud and shake off and walk away. If I don't do this they will make me fall because they refuse to move.

8. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Quote:I have this kind of reaction with one of my sex-links that isn't in with a roo. But usually a scratch from me along her back does the trick to get her moving. She is also the only chicken I have that will let me pick her up and cuddle her. I'm her roo! :lauLOL

I have not heard of deliberate butt fluffing, though. The only time I've "fluffed" is checking for mites and poo crusting.

9. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:too late .. the image is already in my head

it's cute that the rooster is jealous

10. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Please let me clarify I DON'T TOUCH MY CHICKENS HINEY!!!! I have never nor will I ever start. That is gross and kinda freaks me out. Tails people just their tails. Actually its the part where the tail connects to the body on their back. I am not a rooster. Someone please text message my girls and tell them I am not the rooster. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by