Ever heard or an egg-suckin' goose?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Buxton Ducks, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    My wife runs a business where among the things for sale are delicious pastries. Our secret is to use fresh, well cared for duck eggs in the batter. After about two weeks of wondering why I haven't gotten a single egg I decided to lay a trap. I took an egg from the hen house and placed it in the duck pen. After a couple minutes "Fifi" my sebastopol girl made a direct line for in, crunched it up and it was gone! I tried this a couple more times and she has actually made a habit out of searching the eggs out. We need our duck eggs and I love our geese, what can I do? Some helpful info: This started in the middle of winter which completely eliminates their ability to graze. They eat a poulin grain layer pellet staple with cracked corn, rabbit food pellets and any leftover kitchen veggies/fruits. They have grit available at all times. Please help me!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She maybe after the calcium in the shells. I didn't see that you put out oyster shell, My goose eats oyster shell of an evening I put it out for all my egg layers even though i feed layer. I also give the flock the crushed up egg shell from the eggs i use. they snatch them up also. as far as breaking the habit I don't know but maybe putting out the oyster shell and offering the extra egg shell will give her what she is looking for the the fresh whole egg.

1 person likes this.
  3. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    I will buy some oyster shell tomorrow and give that a shot, thank you!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Put a bowl out separate from feed but out of the weather, that way she can eat it as needed. I hope that it solves your problem.

5. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Well it has been a month and I am back to getting 8 to 10 duck eggs a day! Thank you very much! I put oyster shells out and also added a bunch of dummy eggs to the pen. She pecked at the dummy eggs for a couple days and now doesn't go near any of the eggs. I think the mix of the two did the trick. Thank you again so much Miss Lydia!

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] always great to hear a solution worked..

7. Rosebud 18

Rosebud 18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    middle Tn
    My geese are eating their own eggs. This started about 2 weeks ago and 2 of the nest are empty now. I think it's the younger ones eating them because the older geese started setting on their nest yesterday and today. I'll put out some oyster shell in the morning. I usually put it out when the duck eggs have soft shell. Thanks for the info.

8. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    This eating of duck egg shells is nothing unusual for geese. They will even eat thier own shells and egg yolk. This is for lost calcium and they need oyster shell gritt place in a seperate bowl for them to choose when they want it. Another thing yoo an do is when you eat chicken eggs wash them off and take them outside and let the geee eat the shells.... That is how they help keep calcium in their own bones. Because when they start laying goose eggs it takes a lot of calcium out from the bones that need replacing.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by