Ever held eggs at 40 degrees?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Compton Farm, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Compton Farm

Compton Farm Just Hatched

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    So I found an article about keeping eggs at 40 degrees before incubation to stop the development of the male embryos. Anyone ever tried this? And was it successful?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I do know that some people hatch eggs from places like Trader Joe's, in which case they are refrigerated. I haven't seen reports of how many cockerels they are getting from their hatches, or even the overall hatch rates (which you would expect to go down if the male embryos die).

3. Kasilofchrisn

Kasilofchrisn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    Kenai peninsula Alaska
    I'm guessing it's just another old wives tail.
    Think about this for a minute.
    If it worked wouldn't most hatcheries be doing this to eliminate or reduce the amount of unwanted males they get each year?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  4. Compton Farm

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    Well hatcheries may actually do this. I'm sure it doesn't kill all male embryos, but it may cut down the number of roos born. I have 12 eggs in an incubator now, 6 stored at 40 degrees for 24hrs and 6 straight from the nest. They are supposed to hatch Feb 8th. I am going to see if it makes a difference. I was just wondering if anyone else had tried this before.

5. lil fat chick

lil fat chick New Egg

Jan 9, 2017
    I guess I'm doing that too, I had about half from hens and the other half stored colder. It wasn't intententional, I was just excited for doing my first hatch. Mine are due hatch Feb 14.

6. Compton Farm

Jan 31, 2017
    Jeanerette Louisiana
    Well I hope it works out for you. I just can't wait to see the hatch ratio of roos and hens. And if it really makes a difference storing them at a colder temperature before incubation

7. lil fat chick

lil fat chick New Egg

Jan 9, 2017
    Good luck to you too and I'm curious also :)

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Wives tale......or utopian delusion.

I think I recently saw this in another post that actually linked the article, IIRC the article and the study cited was very small, vague, and inconclusive.

9. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

I asked the local Hatchery ......lol.....Her reply was they are not Crocodile eggs.......

Wives Tale or they would produce lower numbers of cockerel chicks....

Cheers!

10. lil fat chick

lil fat chick New Egg

Jan 9, 2017
    Out of chicks that hatched, I feather sexed and I might have one male. In a couple of weeks will be able to know for sure. Had 19 eggs and 13 hatched. I had problems with my temps just before lockdown, power outage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by