Ever miss a chicken and leave him/her out all night?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by hd_darcy, Aug 26, 2010.

1. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    That is exactly what I did last night! UGH!! Our chickens are normally in a run. Sometimes I let them out to free range all day. Well, last night when I was shutting the run there was one lonely chicken. I have no idea how she got out. I got her and put her back in... This morning I hear a lot of talking like there's a chicken right outside my window. Sure enough, there was! She must have been with the other one. Aye..aye..aye.. guess I need to start counting when I tuck them in at night! Luckily no one found her for a meal!

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    yes, its happened to us, luckily the rooster ( looong time ago) was in the run, but i now do head counts before the final door shuts! [​IMG]

3. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I was scratching my head last night how the one got out of the run... I can't believe there was another and slept outside all night! I wonder where she slept..hmm.....

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yes-a black silkie hen about a month ago-when I came down to open the coops to let them free range there she was just sitting infront of her door:-( Poor baby!

then 2 weeks ago DH missed 1 of the two midget white turkeys! I mean how do you miss a big fat white turkey missing?? They roost in teh same spot everynight-so when we lock up we say ok 2 turkeys.... well the turkey that was in the coop must have had two heads that night!

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

Yup, couple years ago. Reba, my RIR, greeted me in the morning when I was walking down to the coop. She obviously spent the night underneath. Not sure how we missed her. And my banty Cochin, Shadow, somehow slipped out of the pen and wasn't noticed till the next morning when she was running around in the yard. It happens, I guess. We got lucky, considering the predator base we have here.

6. maurerwerks

maurerwerks Songster

Jun 29, 2009
    Sunapee
    I'll be so happy when my 10-week old chickaboos start roosting at night instead of sleeping in a big chicken pile. [​IMG] It's really hard to count beaks when at least a couple of them are completely buried under fat chicken bodies! When will they start roosting?

7. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I have a bantam hen, I don't know what kind, who likes to sleep in the orange tree. Quite often I forget to check the tree and so she stays out all night. She is my oldest of the bunch and the most independent. She found an old barrel planter to go broody in once and we didn't find her for a couple of days. When she hatched her brood, we moved her and her barrel into the coop and she has been sleeping there ever since.

8. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Songster

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I came home the other night after dark. I shut the run door, then went into the coop to check on everyone. It was too dark to see much, so I just added feed, checked water, and went inside. The next morning 2 hens were pacing outside the run! That's never happened before! Luckily nothing happened, but now I keep a flashlight in the coop. Of course, even if someone is missing, that won't mean I can find them and get them back in, so...[​IMG]

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:oh yes a flashlight is a must in my coops!

10. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:That is so cute!!

Thanks for responding everyone. I've enjoyed reading your experiences!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: