Ever scramble 46 eggs at a time? I have!! (Another rant)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by gritsar, Apr 29, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm very OCD about my chickens eggs. I only sell the best to my egg customers and keep precise records.

I thought my instructions to the SD before we left on vacation were pretty clear - Good, large eggs go in cartons in the frig., labeled with the date as a carton is filled. Small eggs are kept in a bowl in the frig. for the family's use. Dirty eggs are kept out and fed to the dogs. Amounts totals from each coop are written down in a notebook.

I came home to find several half-filled cartons of eggs in the frig., no labels, a bowl full of eggs on the counter (both good sized, sellable eggs, small ones and dirty ones), plus another bowl of eggs in the frigerator. SD and her family left so quickly I didn't get a chance to ask which eggs were which.

Therefore, all these eggs have been scrambled. My chickens, dogs and cats are going to feast today. It comes out to roughly 1.4 eggs a piece.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Friday Feast Day! [​IMG]

Though I wouldn't touch an egg covered in cow poop.........

3. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:But the chickens dig through the piles of cow poo looking for tasty bits. Inside the egg or out. What's the diff? [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  4. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    The difference is when the cow poop is in the coop. [​IMG]

5. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:You had to remind me of that, didn't you. [​IMG]

6. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Dangitall Ranchy!! You jinxed me! Now do you want to go out and chase the 100+ herd of cattle that are now ganged up all around the chicken coop?!?!? [​IMG]

I really don't have time for it and Jax is about to lose his mind! [​IMG]

7. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Teehee! I'm on my way....... [​IMG]

Grits................. do you suppose the cows are going broody? Sour's GPS has been off lately. I hate to even think of the broody poop from that! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  8. Hi! Don't think I've ever scrambled that many at one time.
    I use a huge stock pot (same pot I use for scalding) and boil a hundred or so at a time once a week.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

9. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Well, at least the birds were fed and the eggs were gathered faithfully (even though carelessly).

I've seen some posts on here of people returned home to hungry neglected birds with masses of eggs just left in the coops and runs and now egg eating chickens!

I'm sure you left detailed instructions. Maybe they need something simpler next time?? Maybe create 2 buckets you label for each day you are gone. One for dirty in one hand and one for clean in the other and leave the size sorting to you later???

Sorry you had to come home to a mess!

10. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I need a giant laughing smilie...but this will have to do! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Your animals are going to think Fridays are special treat day!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by