ever seen this?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by siz8003, Aug 19, 2008.

1. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pokey

pokey Warrior Princess

Jun 1, 2008
    upstate
    wow, i am sure that is explainable in laymans terms, but this late at night it blew my mind!!![​IMG]

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    There are some problems with the chart. People have worked on genetics and changed some of the symbols.

The symbol e^p or partridge is now called e^b or brown

there is not an sp gene for spangeling- spangeling is caused 4 different genes

Ab is for autosomal barring which is caused by e different genes

Lg is for lacing and lacing is caused by 3 or 4 different genes

sg - is for recessive black and was the allele to stippling or Sg but the sg gene is not considered a gene now

Tim

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  4. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    So -is there a new chart? I heard there was a new book coming out by sig someone that was supposed to make sense -anyone know?

5. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I'm still figuring out the basics without having to look at something as confusing as that. [​IMG]

I've seen it before, but my mind shorted out and shut down due to the overload of incomprehensible information. My eye cross just looking at it! [​IMG]

6. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Yikes! That reminded me of high school algebra!! Red alert!

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:LOL

If you thought that was bad, look up the "Wnt" Pathway.

8. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    To learn chicken genetics it will take time and a boat load of memorization. The subject is complicated and can not be made simple.

You have to learn little bits at a time. The best thing to do is to learn the genetics behind the birds that you breed and not to worry about the rest.

Tim

9. wclawrence

wclawrence Chillin' With My Peeps

That is right Tim. I couldn't look at that chart long. When I saw that they still think the origin of all chickens is the Red Junglefowl, and the word "evolution" on the chart turn me way off.
    I won't say that "evolution" is an idiot word, but I would if it weren't a public forum.

10. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Wow,
    at the risk of looking like the fool I can sometimes be.....I'm going to go by a more primitive method:
    cool looking rooster + pretty hen = surprise chick
    Seriously though, breeding is an art and I respect everyone who takes the time to breed out imperfections and create beautiful healthy birds for us to enjoy.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by