1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ever train a chicken?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spydrworks, Mar 29, 2007.

1. Spydrworks

Spydrworks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2007
    So. California
    I would love to hear from anyone who has accomplished training their chicken to do a neat trick or two.

I'm tempted to train Chickie being she's very attentive when I got the can of greens and bugs in hand....

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Train her to do what? Beg? [​IMG]
    I'm only asking because mine are so good at it!!!

3. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    My chickens try to train ME! I did have a rooster that knew his name right from the start. When the hens were in the neighbor's field, I would holler, "Kanga go get your girls and bring 'em home!" And he did. Keep in mind, he is in my yard but keeping an eye on the hens in the field and he would round them up as if he were a herding dog. I miss him.

You might enjoy this:
    http://vein.library.usyd.edu.au/links/Trainingchicken.pdf

Stephanie

4. cookinmom

cookinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Saint George GA
    "Kanga go get your girls and bring 'em home!"

Kanga Roo! I love it!​

5. hencackle

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    I can't tell you how many people had a blank expression when I told them the name of my rooster. "Kanga?"...what does that mean?" Then I'd say, "Kanga Rooster" and give them a few minutes to figure it out. [​IMG]

I wish I had a video of Kanga herding the hens. Everybody that saw it just shook their heads in amazement--several people tried to buy him.

Stephanie

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

What a cute name......We have a Red Tail Hawk....comes around more than i would like to see him...we nicknamed him Tony ( Hawk ) LOL

7. hencackle

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    justusnak,
    Tony Hawk--that's a clever name too!
    Stephanie

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  8. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Mine have this adorable trick of making their human perform on command. They do a Secret Chicken Sign and their human runs out with a box of Cheerios and tosses them around. Then they make another Secret Chicken Sound and the human holds up a Cheerio for a hen to fly up and take from her fingers. Then the ducks make a Secret Duck Signal and the human goes and gets a shovel to dig up worms.

Yes, they are a talented bunch.[​IMG]

9. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:I think our chickens have been talking! [​IMG]

10. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    My Alice used to come when I called her, but only because she knew she had a treat coming!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by