Ever traveled with your favorite Chicken?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by chickenpiedpiper, Jan 9, 2010.

1. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    Ok, I have a special young Blue Ameracauna, whom I love to pieces. His name is Anakin. He is about 4 months old. He has been out in the coop with other birds for some time now, and is not doing well, he acts and looks like he is starving, all hunched up, under the lights, and his face is cadaverous. I have moved him and his little girl friend 'Padme' for lack of a better name, back into the house.

Now the problem, I am leaving next week to help my niece drive to Colorado so she can have her car at college. I am then going up to Montana to stay with some friends and will fly home after a couple weeks. I dont want to leave Anakin and Padme here, even tho my hubby would take good care of them, I want him under my chin. Has anyone ever traveled on on airplane with a chicken? Does anyone know the rules? I am sure I would have to get a health certificate, which I have an appointment for on monday, but I am looking for info on peoples actual experiences.....

Thank you.

2. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

No airplane experience, but my roos were good car travellers. Good luck with your upcoming adventure. [​IMG]

3. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    I personally wouldn't risk putting them in the cargo area of a plane ~ I think they would be better off staying behind. This would be one of those times where you need to put what's best for them ahead of what's best for you.

Have a safe trip!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  4. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Quote:Ditto, it would not be to good to be put in a cargo area of a plane [​IMG]

5. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    I wasnt Planning on putting them in the cargo area, They would be in an approved crate that can be carried on, and put under the seat, so for most of the trip they would be in my lap...

6. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:I was just thinking that the bird would be okay if kept dark, but how will your seatmates react when he fires off a big, odiferous one....

7. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Quote:I was just thinking that the bird would be okay if kept dark, but how will your seatmates react when he fires off a big, odiferous one....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    If it were me, I would call the major airlines in your area to see if they even allow it. Maybe things have changed but back in 94' I wanted to take a roo with me to Texas. I was told over and over that chickens are livestock and livestock are not allowed in the passenger compartment of the plane. I ended up driving anyway due to this and other reasons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by