Ever use an aquarium heating pad instead of a light bulb for heat?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RiverMan420, Jun 17, 2011.

1. RiverMan420

RiverMan420 RIP 1963-2014

Jun 16, 2011
    We have built our first incubator using the standard styro ice chest/hardware cloth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used an aquarium heating pad because it is supposed to stay at a constant 100F degrees... and it did work for a few days. The tempurature stayed at around 97F to 100F and the humidity hovered around 62% to 67%. We thought the humidity was too high so we swapped the heating pad for a light bulb on a dimmer switch. Now the temp is much harder to control. I got up this morning and the overnight "high" temp was 104f. I am thinking about going back to using the heating pad and just living with the higher humidity. Do ya'll think it's ok to have this at a constant 65% through the incubation period?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The temp should be around 100 and the humidity 50%. Can you put both the light and the heating pad in. Another suggestion is cut a hole in the incubator and make a cover so you can adjust the opening and that should help with the humidity. I have 3 holes in mine and just open and close the holes to adjust my humidity. Just some suggestions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by