Ever wonder what will happen to your pretty water plants?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newchickmom09, Sep 2, 2009.

1. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Just incase anyone didn't know what happens to those beautiful waterlilies (any other water plant for that matter [​IMG]) that you have in your pond once you get ducks, here you go.
    [​IMG]
    My waterlilies were 3 years old now, very well established,covered that entire area, and had 6-8 inch pads and 4-5 inch lilies on them until we decided to let the ducks just have the pond. [​IMG]
    I just got some water lettuce to see if they wil eat that, so far they haven't but it has only been two days. [​IMG]

At least we have a top pond that they don't seem to realize is there and that is were all of our pretty flowers grown now.

I guess it is worth it to see my ducks so happy. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    AWW they are pretty lucky duckies. Thanks for the tip. I'll let mine in the lower pond and keep the upper pond for these.

[​IMG]

3. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    neverbdone~ I had brite white, light pink and a pink like yours. [​IMG]

Here is the last pic I took of some of them this spring once they started blooming again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Yes, they love pond plants! My chickens even like, or should I say, love water hyacynths (sp)! My BIL brought over a bunch and gave it to my girls, and let me tell you, it was love at first taste!!!

5. Squirtchy2009

Squirtchy2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Essex
    Are there any water plants they dont eat, i want to put some foliage in the pond in the enclosure, which they are let out of from 99% of the time!

6. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I don't know if there is any. [​IMG] I have an umbrella plant in my pond and they don't eat that to much but that is because they can't reach the tops. But they do nibble on the new shoots. I think anything in the water is fare game for them. Just get bigger plants so they last longer. [​IMG]

7. neverbdone

neverbdone Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Lake Isabella, CA
    newchickmom09 - very cool lilies.

I used to have koi in my upper pond, but they only made it 1 1/2 years. Now I have a very large bullfrog and he is VERRRRRY happy with the lilly pads and they like him too. Even the small fish used to eat the pads. I degress - sorry.

I give my ducks a dozen feeder fish on fridays (no I'm not catholic). But I also give my Jerimiah a couple in the pond. No matter which pond I put them in that is where he goes. I have no idea how he knows. I guess you can even train a bullfrog. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by