Evergreen type bush dropping lots of small blue berries..are these ok?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Yardbirds286, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    I just noticed that an evergreen looking bush on our property is dropping loads of these little blue berries. The girls were chowing them down. Are they in trouble?

2. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Sounds like a species of Juniper. My land is covered in them, and the chickens do nibble at them, though I don't think they eat a lot. They are not technically poisonous, but they do taste bad, at least to humans. I imagine if you ate a big handful you'd get a stomach ache, but my book on edible wild plants says Juniper berries are edible. I wouldn't worry.

4. Yardbirds286

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    It is Juniper. Looks just like it. Thank goodness it is not harmful to chickens. It went back to raining like crazy so they all went back under their coop. Some with blue beaks! Thank you for the responses. [​IMG]

5. Ironmaiden

Ironmaiden Chicken Maiden

Jun 14, 2010
    Kansas
    Definately Juniper. It is the flavoring in Gin as well as German Sauerbraten roast beef. The only thing I would be a bit concerned about would be the eggs taking on a bit of the flavor of the berry. Hmmm. That might be interesting!

6. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    Pickled Juniper berries are capers - your chickens have good taste! [​IMG]

7. Yardbirds286

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    Ohh i love capers! mmm salmon in a butter cream sauce with capers.... ok snapping out of it. The gals are just about to lay any day now. They are around 22 weeks. I am just glad that they didn't eat something that could make them sick. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by