every chick died :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jb1jord, Jun 19, 2011.

1. jb1jord

jb1jord Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    hi, on my first time hatching all me embryo's died, the embro looked about 20 days old, everything was formed, how could they have died (humidity and temp were perfect)

2. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:What about ventilation?

3. Lynnk

Lynnk Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2007
    Were they your eggs or were they shipped?
    how was the quality of the water you used in your incubator?
    are you sure the themometer and hygrometer are working properly?

its usually because of some sudden or severe temp change towards the end, or insufficient oxygen, check that your vents are not closed if possible, and check the accuracy of the thermometer. Make sure the thermometer is on the eggs or turner not on the wire floor (depending on your incubator of course) but the temp will be different.

Sorry about your hatch. What kind of eggs were they?

Lynn [​IMG]

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    A fresh air supply is often overlooked as the main reason for quiters, while most people will look to humidity and other things. I use to get several quiters at every hatch until I allowed a supply of fresh air, hatch rates did rise. BTW I don't have a styrobator.

5. jb1jord

Jun 13, 2011
    Quote:the eggs were sussex, but i was wondering if it could have been one of the eggs that went bad, i cracked all the eggs and the embro's were dead, but two eggs were off and stunk, so i was wondering if maybe the air released poisened the embro's, and i candled them from day 19 to 21.

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    The most common problem with hatches that develop as long as yours did and not hatch is too high of humidity. If you havent calibrated your hygrometer, it could be as much as 20 points off.

7. jb1jord

Jun 13, 2011
    Quote:how do you calibrate hydromiter?

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  9. Ceilismom

Ceilismom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    NW South Dakota
    Quote:the eggs were sussex, but i was wondering if it could have been one of the eggs that went bad, i cracked all the eggs and the embro's were dead, but two eggs were off and stunk, so i was wondering if maybe the air released poisened the embro's, and i candled them from day 19 to 21.

From day 18-21 you are supposed to increase the humidity in the incubator and not open it at all. Did you candle the eggs during that time, or am I misunderstanding you?

10. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    The same thing happened to me. My hygrometer was off by alot!!! So i kept adding more sponges and pretty much drowned them all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by