Every plant I touch dies....

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by NerdTime1997, Jan 14, 2015.

1. NerdTime1997

NerdTime1997 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2015
    Northeast, Ohio
    After getting my chickens this past August my dream for running a small homestead is becoming a big priority of mine. This is great and all but every single plant that I touch dies, I'm not kidding I can't keep a plant alive to save my life.
    For all the gardeners out there, how do you do it? What are some good tips to get me started?

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have them outside? I can not think it would be easy to kill an outdoor plant...

3. NerdTime1997

Jan 13, 2015
    Northeast, Ohio
    In the past I've tried growing herbs and other things like that outside and within a few weeks they were dead

4. Free Feather

Wow.
    What kind of dirt do you have? Do you add organic matter? Did you plant wet loving or dry loving plants in the wrong place? What about shade requirements? Were they planted in the wrong climate? etc. Maybe it is not your fault.

5. NerdTime1997

Jan 13, 2015
    Northeast, Ohio
    I've been working on a small compost pile, so hopefully when I add it into the dirt that will help. They might have been planted in the wrong location because it was on the deck where the sun was on it constantly but I made sure that it had plenty of water.
    It's hard to pinpoint a specific thing that has caused the plants to die.

6. Free Feather

If they were watered earlier in the day in that sort of location, they will sunburn and wither.

7. NerdTime1997

Jan 13, 2015
    Northeast, Ohio
    @Free Feather
    I didn't realize that plants could sunburn, that's good to know. So do you think I should water it later? Around noon?

8. Free Feather

Yes. But, if you have slug issues, they will be attracted to the evening moisture. The best best time is like five in the morning, but most do not do that.

9. NerdTime1997

Jan 13, 2015
    Northeast, Ohio
    I'm up most mornings at or around five so that would be doable, thanks for the help!

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    On the deck? Container gardening? What kind of containers? Potting soil? Or just soil from the ground?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by