Every small eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchick1358, Apr 18, 2017.

1. newchick1358

newchick1358 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    I have one chicken that lays consistently small eggs lately she has been laying even smaller eggs they still have a yoke and some white. I want to know if there is something wrong with her and if anyone has any idea which chicken it could be? We have three buff Orpingtons two Sussex two Astralops and two red stars. They are over a year old. Thank you for your comments [​IMG]

2. HeavensHens88

HeavensHens88 Remembering the Forgotten

Your hen is laying Wind Eggs.
    A wind egg is the colloquial name for a fully formed egg that does not have a yolk in it. These are generally much smaller than normal eggs and are a blip in egg production, either at the beginning or end of lay when the hormone level has not stabilised. A young hen will settle down and begin to lay proper eggs once the days really start to lengthen. Known by different names such as “dwarf eggs”, “wind eggs”, and “fart eggs”, these tiny and often yolk-less eggs are generally resultant of a new layer with an immature reproductive system -or- {in an older hen} the product of a situation where a piece of reproductive tract has been sloughed off and then treated like an egg, thus prompting it to be encased within albumin, membranes, and shell {giving it the exact appearance of an egg, just much smaller and generally without yolk}.
    They are often the result of stress, immunity malfunctions, rising illness, or vitamin deficiencies in adult hens. Though Oyster Shell isn't directly the root of the problem, wind eggs can still be linked to a lack of calcium. Do you supply your hens with calcium (oyster shell) on a regular basis? Is there any way your hen could be abnormally stressed? How is she functioning otherwise?
    ~Sarah

3. newchick1358

newchick1358 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2015
    None of my
    Hens have been acting out of the ordinary they all seem healthy. I'm not even sure which hen is laying the wind eggs. All the refs have yokes. They have oyster shells all the time.

4. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Feed, air and light all contribute to egg size..:)....Some breeds need temps at consistent 70 to produce great eggs...If this is a young layer ?....She should balance out....Fairy or fart eggs are common in young pullers and in older Hens done laying...:);)......

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by