Every Thing is almost ready

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jray, Feb 14, 2008.

1. jray

jray Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    Piedmont, SC
    I've just about got everything ready for the 21 comimg in from Ideal. Bought an extra heat lamp tonight as a back up for my brooder. I feel safer burning two since the brooder is in my shop. Its supposed to be in the mid 60's during the days next week when they are due to arrive. For those of you who haven't viewed it, here's the new brooder. I did wrap in in corrugated to cut doen on any draft, and have a large piece to cover part of the top. I'm thinking of using another piece of cardboard to partition half of it off for a week or two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] WOW>...great brooder............ nice job.......spoiled before they even arrive !

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Good job, nice looking brooder...great idea about the draft part....

4. jray

jray Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    Piedmont, SC
    Tomorrow is the first big day in my chickens life. Ideal is supposed to ship 21 various pullets tomorrow. Should have em Friday. I now have 2 heat lamps hanging by chain from the ceiling ready to warm em up. As the great Coach Danny Ford once said, " I'm very very excited and very very proud"

I'll send pics when they get here.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  5. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    thats nice jray is it 4'x8'x? i am going to need to build one like it. did i understand right, that you closed the sides in ?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  6. jray

jray Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2008
    Piedmont, SC
    The OD's are 42x60. I cut down a crate that we receive parts in at my warehouse from time to time. I did take some large pieces of cardboard and staple them around the sides to hold some heat in. I also have a large pcs that I can lay on 3/4 of the top/lid. I used a piece of OSB for the floor. I hinged the top and a small clean out flap on one end. I'll send more pics tomorrow. I also need to post some pics of my new nest box that I built Sunday after I fixed my table saw.

7. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    thank jray that sounds like a good size for my needs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by