1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Every time I incubate I seem to have a lot of dripping/stinking eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bahamabanty, Sep 25, 2015.

1. bahamabanty

bahamabanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    Every time I incubate I seem to have a lot of dripping eggs or eggs that go bad.
    I use the brinsea eco and I use my own backyard eggs. Out of 9 to 10 eggs I usually have 3 or 4 hatching,
    around 3 stinkers/drippers and a couple that never hatch. Is this my chickens or is my incubator dirty (bacteria)?
    This happened 4 times in a row now. Just wondering what could be the cause.

2. RavenBlue

RavenBlue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2015
    BC
    Humidity too high, maybe? I had the humidity too high at the beginning of a hatch earlier in the summer and most of them went bad.

3. RavenBlue

RavenBlue Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2015
    BC
    I scrubbed and disinfected with bleach after though too to make sure no bacteria left behind.

4. bahamabanty

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas
    That could be. We already have high humidity..
    Maybe I should try a dry hatch.

5. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you keep your incubator clean?

6. bahamabanty

Oct 9, 2013
    Bahamas

Yes, I have the brinsea eco mini, I use bleach and I screw off the plate that covers the heating element that is usually covered with dust/chick fluff

7. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

I just asked because I have seen some incubators that the owner could not figure out what was wrong with it; find they have not washed it once since they got it, however many years ago...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by