1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

everybody is broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kelliepulido, Nov 15, 2008.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    I now have 7 girls who are broody.2 are laying on eggs the rest are just sitting in the nest boxes! Wow when they said cochins were broody they were not joking.These girls are only 6 months old and its getting cold here in mi.

2. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Wow, I'd drop eggs at your house if I knew where you were. Have lots of fertile eggs...no broody hens.

3. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    my year-old cochin never went broody and my five month old cochin hasnt even layed an egg yet

4. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Well go ahead and mail them! I live in St.John's.I see your from MI although I have never heard of Skidlake

5. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow, no broody's here either. I'm hoping for spring though. Good luck with your's. Maybe I should try a couple of cochins next spring if nobody else steps up to the nest. [​IMG] Your right it's getting to cold here in michigan.

6. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Wow - 7! [​IMG]

I have 4 broodies and I thought that was crazy!

I have a total of 10 Silkie girls, all 7 months old, and within a few weeks of laying they each went broody. Today I gathered the eggs and I found a new Silkie egg and my first thought was - oh, great another one is going to go broody soon. [​IMG]

They're ticking time bombs! [​IMG]

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    six months seems kinda young to me

8. kelliepulido

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    Their bantams and that's what I thought kinda young but no matter how many times I tell them they are too young and it is getting too cold they still won't get out of the nest boxes.

9. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I have 2 broodies. The one is a young silkie, the other a serama. I take their eggs, but they don't care, they just keep sitting there! I tried telling them it is too cold for them to hatch babies right now, but evidently they disagree!! Now they are no longer laying and since I took each egg as they laid it, they are not sitting on any either. Go figure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by