Everybody keeps asking me when my chickens will lay

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by max13077, Jun 23, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep telling them, soon; Basically cause I don't know. I thought 20-22 weeks or so. They're 17 weeks now. They're RIR, BO, SLW, and JG. Any insight?

2. Franecca

Franecca Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2008
    Irvine, KY
    Everyone is asking me the same thing!!! My hens are 19 weeks old. I hope they start laying before school starts back in August!!!!!!!

3. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I've read on other threads 18 to 26 weeks they should start laying.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They can start laying in about 17 weeks. Some may take longer around 24 weeks and some maybe even a little longer. One of mine was 27 weeks.

5. mcfarlandteresa

mcfarlandteresa Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    Mine are close to 6 months old now and not one egg yet. I go out every morning in hopes of finding at least 1 but no luck yet![​IMG] Hopefully soon though!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    There is still hope. You are at about 24 weeks. A friend of mine had one that started after mine and we got them at the same time, so one of hers must have been around 30 weeks. It was almost a month after my last one started laying. Are their combs and wattles pretty well developed and red yet? That is a pretty good indication when they may be getting ready to start.

7. mcfarlandteresa

Mar 24, 2008
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    No the wattles and combs aren't fully developed yet. Some have an off pink color to them and others have an almost red color. So I just need to keep checking them and when they are red I'm getting close huh?[​IMG]

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Why don't you start an egg-lay betting chart and make a little money off it if they're so anxious and interested? Whoever guesses the closest date will get half the pot, and you get the other half, just for the aggravation of having to answer all those stupid questions.

The official answer for your chickens is: they'll lay when they're darn good and ready to lay!

9. mcfarlandteresa

Mar 24, 2008
    McAlester, Oklahoma
    That's what I was thinking! When they are ready to start dropping eggs then I'll get them. But man I have waited so long to finally get the DH to agree to chickens. I finally just went and bought some now I'm anxious I guess. My dad always said all good things take time.

10. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    My little Goldline has laid her first egg today. She is about 21 weeks old. I noticed her squatting a week ago.
    I also have a Black Rock of about the same age which shows no signs that she is ready yet. Her comb is tiny.
    Hope yours will begin soon. Try to be patient. It is worth waiting for. It is not good for them to lay too early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by