"Everybody knows that Muscovies are nasty"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cottage Rose, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    That's what one not-so-nice person (waterfowl breeder) told me recently. [​IMG]
    Well I guess she thinks her taste is superior to those of us who can
    look beyond their unique looks and appreciate how desireable and versatile Muscovies are.
    Since they're so popular I guess this person doesn't know what shes talking about.
    To each his own. Not everybody likes the same thing.
    So what's your opinion?

Pretty babies...late 2009

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. percyj

percyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Luv them xept 4 the caruncling(sp.)

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    [​IMG]
    that say's it all, lov my 'scovy's

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I always thought Muscovy ducks are ugly looking ducks, until I saw some beautiful Muscovy girls. I still wouldn't want any, because I love Saxony ducks. Perhaps down the road, who knows. Everyone has it's own taste and what is beautiful to one may be different to another one. As for nasty. Well if they mean they like to get messy. Yeah, ducks love to get messy regardless of breed. That is the only way I can put the word nasty to a duck. It's the personality that counts.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  5. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    When she said 'nasty', did she mean 'ugly'? If so, I concur. So do many of my customers when they are looking to buy a duck for a pet.

6. Caprice_Acres

Caprice_Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    Michigan
    I love my 'scovies. The caruncling grows on you, I think - as I don't see them as ugly at ALL now. [​IMG] I think my drake is super handsome. And, the babies are amazingly adorable.

If she meant nasty as in bad-tempered, that's just not the case with my many birds that I have had/have. The only ones that have ever hurt me were hens on nests - which I'd rather have them protect their nests and babies.

7. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Cottage Rose those are some BEAUTIFUL babies!!! I love my Scovys. I guess their looks are an aquired taste... but my morning wouldn't be the same without my big boy drake flying towards me to be first to breakfast. "Ugly" or not he's a GREAT bird. And my Females are so smart they will knock on the door if I'm late with the treat bucket. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ugly ducky

ugly ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    S.E. MO
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I love my Scovys! They truly do grow on you...there was a time when I would have agreed on the "nasty" comment, but after a friend gave me some, I fell hook, line, and sinker for them. Now, I can't imagine not having Scovys around. Show me any other breed of duck that comes in as many different colors and patterns, and I love variety. Everybody is entitled to their opinion I guess, and that is mine.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    He may have tasty offspring, but he sure is ugly.

[​IMG]

10. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    So ugly they're beautiful! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by