Everybody loves a cupcake!! Whats your fave??

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by AlicesSilkies, Sep 15, 2012.

1. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey byc friends,
    I love baking cupcakes, my favourite recipe are maple syryp ones [​IMG]

Whats your fave, and im kinda running out of inventive ideas

Thanks gang!
    [​IMG]

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've got a recipe tucked away somewhere that is a chocolate mocha, but you fill the cup halfway and then add a small spoonful of filling, then fill the cup to the correct level and bake.

Filling is cream cheese, coconut, chocolate chips.

3. AlicesSilkies

AlicesSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

hhmmmm...yummy...i love coconut!!! [​IMG]

4. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Burnt sugar cupcakes -- they taste like cotton candy!

1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 stick butter
    2 egg yolks beaten
    2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
    3 teaspoons baking powder
    3/4 cup water
    3 teaspoons burnt sugar syrup
    2 egg whites beaten until stiff
    1/8 teaspoon mace

To make burnt sugar: Burn 1 cup sugar in a saucepan over medium-low to low heat until it has turned to a dark brown liquid. Add 1 cup hot water, stir & boil for 1 minute.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream sugar & butter. Add egg yolks. Sift flour & baking powder together & add alternately with the water. Add the burnt sugar & fold in the egg whites & mace. Spoon into 12 unit muffin pan & bake for 25 minutes.

Burnt Sugar Icing-
    16 ounces powdered sugar
    2/3-3/4 cup Burnt Sugar syrup (use enough to make it easy to spread)
    1/4 cup butter, room temperature
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Cream butter until light & fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, sifted with salt, add Burnt Sugar syrup and vanilla & beat until creamy smooth and spreadable. If mixture is too stiff, add water a teaspoon at a time.

Burnt sugar syrup:

1 cup sugar
    1 cup hot water

Dump the sugar in a skillet on the stove. Turn the heat to medium-low. Stir only occasionally, for about 5-10 minutes, until it melts and turns into an amber-colored liquid. Keeping the heat on medium-low, carefully add a cup of hot water, a little bit at a time. It will bubble up, then simmer down. Keep the heat on low and simmer about another 5-10 minutes, again stirring only occasionally. Turn off the fire, remove the skillet & set aside to cool while you prepare the cake. The syrup is thin while hot but thickens as it cools.

5. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Otherwise, if you want to get really simple -- double almond wedding cupcakes -- these use a cake mix - really simple but really tasty -

Double Almond Wedding Cupcakes

1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® white cake mix
    Water, vegetable oil and egg whites called for on cake mix box

1 tablespoon almond extract

Frosting
    1 ¼ cups butter, softened
    2 ½ cups powdered sugar

2 teaspoons almond extract

Garnish
    Jordan almonds, if desired

1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). Place paper baking cup in each of 18 regular-size muffin cups. Make cake batter as directed on box, adding 1 tablespoon almond extract. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full.
    2. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
    3. In medium bowl, beat butter and powdered sugar with electric mixer on low speed until blended. Add whipping cream and 2 teaspoons almond extract; beat on high speed until well blended. Fit a #46 tip in a decorating bag and fill with frosting. Use tip, with smooth side facing down, to generously pipe frosting in circular motion. Store loosely covered.
    Makes 18 cupcakes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by